Old January 11th 09, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pshapiro

Default How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old Outlook) and
archive.pst -- I copied them onto an external hard disk, then hooked up the
hard disk to my new computer. When I tried to import them into Outlook
(2007) on the new computer (Vista), I got a message saying "File access
denied. You do not have permission required to access the file
F:\backup.pst". I also tried just to follow the "Open" command in Outlook,
and I got the same message. Same message also appeared when I tried to open
the archive.pst alone.

What am I doing wrong?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

It can be used but we recommended upgrading to the new pst format.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Whitestone" wrote in message
I have read the How To link several times and it seems to address moving
data
from same version to same version. I want to move all data from Outlook
2002
SP3 to Outlook 2007 (new laptop). I assume (#*!) that the 2002 pst file
has
changed structure and can not be used in 2007. What is the proper
procedure
to get my data safely and completely transferred?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

For the record: you never import Outlook data unless you want to change
it
or lose it. Use the instructions in the link, not the one from mrb.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"mrb" wrote in message
I used this to transfer between outlook 2003 and 2007 (copy the pst on
the
old machine / version and import it like a restore and it worked fine.

"DL" wrote:

See if this helps
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a new computer and need to transfer my outlook over from my
laptop.
Am using 2003, which is installed on my new computer also. I've
been
searching these q&a's, and see that I will need to "copy to a pst
file"?
What
is this, where do I find it, and how to I execute it??? And if any
of
you
clever people choose to help me, you will have to talk r-e-a-l-l-y
s-l-o-w-l-y, as I'm very sorry, but I don't speak your language.
--
Regards,
Sarah