Old March 22nd 06, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

Default IMAP vs HTTP

IMAP is only better than POP3 if you only intend to use mail clients that
are IMAP compatible. Some people prefer to be able to access their email
from almost any mail client. That is when POP3 is better. However IMAP
allows online (stored on the server) folders. Also most mail clients prefer
to delete mail from POP3 servers upon download, when with IMAP they prefer
to leave mail on the server until it is deleted in the client. I always use
IMAP when available because my email system (Microsoft Exchange 2003) allows
both IMAP and POP3 access, which it also allows access through Outlook but I
am only talking about IMAP, POP3, and HTTP at the moment. If you don't
understand look below:

Name: IMAP---POP
Folders: Online folders---Inbox only
Compatibility: Works in most mail clients---Works in almost all mail clients

Lucas

"PA Bear" wrote in message
Define "better" and why "IMAP is better than POP[3]".
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

lucas wrote:
I know IMAP is better than POP, but is HTTP (such as MSN) better than
IMAP?