Old March 21st 06, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

Default IMAP vs HTTP

Thank you for your response, sorry about requesting an email response. I was
working from a remote location using a web-bassed newsgroup reader which had
errors when trying to read the newsgroup, however it coulld post. I don't
know why it wouldn't show the newsgroup and only post, but now that I am
back at my home computer, I can us OE to read the newsgroup.

Lucas
"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:58:41 -0600, lucas wrote:

I know IMAP is better than POP, but is HTTP (such as MSN) better than
IMAP?

In the first place, if you post in a group, you _must_ remember to go back
to the group to collect replies to the post. It is rude to make a post to
public server, and expect an email response.

In the second place, IMAP is only "better" than POP3 for some values of
"better". Each has its place. Sort of like the difference between a boning
knife and a carving knife in your kitchen, or the difference between a
crescent wrench and a box wrench in your garage.

From the receiving end, there is no difference in function between
HTTPMail
and IMAP. OTOH, IMAP accounts usually use normal SMTP serves, with the
usual SMTP vulnerabilities. As a consequence, spam originating from
services offering IMAP accounts is negligible. OTOH, the WebDAV
application
use with HTTPMail accounts seems to be easily compromised by spammers,
based on the volume of connection attempts my MX server sees from MSN
Hotmail SMTP relay clients. So, in the long run, I would have to say that
HTTPMail accounts are worse than IMAP accounts.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come