Old July 3rd 08, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ondine

Default IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read inUnread folder

Naturallymessagesyou read will "disappear" from the Unread Mail folder.
However, they shouldn't vanish from the Inbox unless they're marked for
deletion. *Are you subscribed to theIMAPfolders? *Do you download the
entire message and not just the headers?

Franky, I find Outlook'sIMAPtransport to be less than robust.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I think I didn't describe what happens very clearly. Suppose I have
20 unread messages in an Inbox with around 200 messages in total.
I'll go to the 'Unread' folder, which will display the 20 unread
ones. I'll select one, right-click and choose 'Mark as read'. Then,
almost ALL of the unread messages will disappear from the folder, and
I am normally left with just the message which I selected and maybe
one or two newer ones - so the message which has been marked as read
actually stays in the Unread folder and all the others, which I hadn't
touched, go. Then, when I return to my inbox with its 200 or so
messages I'll find that a whole load are no longer there. I've not
checked but it might be that the messages which disappear are all
those newer than the one I selected to be marked as Read - but I can't
confirm that.

Fortunately the messages aren't actually being deleted on the imap
server so they do return, but then I get the temporary duplicates.
I'm sure it's a synchronisation issue.

I am subscribed to the IMAP folders and generally don't have problems
unless I meddle with the Unread folder. And yes, I do download the
entire message.

Thanks for your help so far.

Ondine.