Old July 3rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Default "Could not connect to server" error when accessing Outlook 2003 vi

If you have an Anti Virus scanner on this machine and its setup to scan
email, disabling the email scanning feature is often not enough to stop
problems the scanner might be causing (this is particularly true with both
Norton and McAfee products); you should try uninstalling the application and
doing a custom re-install without any email scanning modules. You do not
need email scanning anyway; it is redundant, all it does is cause problems,
and the system will still be fully protected without it, provided the
resident file system scanner is kept up to date.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"LindaD" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm looking for help with a problem that I'm working on. I have a user

who
uses Remote Desktop to connect to her office computer and check her email

in
Outlook 2003 SP3. She is unable to send (SMTP) or receive emails (POP3)

and
when testing the account settings, we get the following errors:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook could not connect to the
incoming mail server (POP3). The problem could be your SSL or port

setting
for the incoming server. Verify your port and SSL settings under More
Settings on the Advanced tab.

Send test e-mail message: Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail
server (SMTP). The problem could be your SSL or port setting for the
incoming server. Verify your port and SSL settings under More Settings on
the Advanced tab.

The interesting aspect of this problem is that if I reboot the computer

and
then RDP into it, the test of the account settings works fine and emails

are
sent and received without a problem. But if I then close Outlook, log off
the computer and reconnect again with RDP, the errors recur until I reboot
the computer again. I have tested RDP from home as well as from within

the
network. It is not a firewall or anti-virus issue as I've tested with

them
both disabled. The problem does not occur if I physically sit at the
computer and check email. This started happening about mid June and I

have
no information from the user on what might have changed.

I have enabled logging in Outlook but do not see anything revealing in the
resulting log.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening or where I should be
looking?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Linda

--
Linda
Golden, CO