Old July 2nd 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LindaD

Default "Could not connect to server" error when accessing Outlook 2003 vi

Hi,

I'm looking for help with a problem that I'm working on. I have a user who
uses Remote Desktop to connect to her office computer and check her email in
Outlook 2003 SP3. She is unable to send (SMTP) or receive emails (POP3) and
when testing the account settings, we get the following errors:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook could not connect to the
incoming mail server (POP3). The problem could be your SSL or port setting
for the incoming server. Verify your port and SSL settings under More
Settings on the Advanced tab.

Send test e-mail message: Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail
server (SMTP). The problem could be your SSL or port setting for the
incoming server. Verify your port and SSL settings under More Settings on
the Advanced tab.

The interesting aspect of this problem is that if I reboot the computer and
then RDP into it, the test of the account settings works fine and emails are
sent and received without a problem. But if I then close Outlook, log off
the computer and reconnect again with RDP, the errors recur until I reboot
the computer again. I have tested RDP from home as well as from within the
network. It is not a firewall or anti-virus issue as I've tested with them
both disabled. The problem does not occur if I physically sit at the
computer and check email. This started happening about mid June and I have
no information from the user on what might have changed.

I have enabled logging in Outlook but do not see anything revealing in the
resulting log.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening or where I should be
looking?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Linda

--
Linda
Golden, CO