Old February 2nd 06, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default Outlook 2000 PST file is too big. How to fix it, please?

Ah...Hah... There IS some progress...

When somebody else has a similar problem... use the MS utility PST2GB
to truncate the file... NOT the iHex freeware utility.

I started over with the original PST file, truncated it with the MS
utility, then ran Scanpst. Now, Outlook comes up with Most of the
folders where they're supposed to be. Some of the folders have been
renamed "Recovered Folder 8123", etc... but Most of the folders are
good. I THINK that the folders that were renamed are the folders that
were most recently added to.

I'd assume that the most recently received emails were added to the END
of the file, and THOSE are the emails that were deleted. Bummer.

Thus,... we still need another utility program... one that doesn't
truncate a file at the END of the file, but at some other designated
spot. Does anybody know of a utility that can delete a CERTAIN PART of
a file? Like, in a file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000,
I want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000. THAT would be cool.

Yes? No?