Old April 28th 08, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

Default Changing Destination of "backup.pst" Changes File Size !

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:34:53 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Perhaps, if you provided some information. You provided none.
We have no idea how you are creating this "backup" file. You should probably
mention at least that much, don't you think?

Apologies for wasting your time with insufficient details.

Here is what I did exactly:-

My Outlook 2003 is installed in the path C;\Program Files\MS
Office\Office11\Outlook .exe

I have set this up so that , on clicking on Outlook.exe , Outlook
opens with the Contacts Folder displayed ( this is the only use I have
with Outlook)

To backup my contacts details I click FILEIMPORT & EXPORTthus
launching the IMPORT & EXPORT Wizard.

In "Choose an Action to Perform" I choose "Export to a File" then
click "NEXT"

When this asks "Create a file type" , I choose "Personal Folder
File(.pst)

When "Select a Folder to Export From " appears , I choose "CONTACTS"
then select "NEXT"

This gives "Save Exported File As" with the path ;-

"C;\D&S\User Name\App Data\MS\Outlook\backup.pst " suggested.

I originally accepted this path and the resulting file "backup.pst "
is 3241KB in size.

However , since I now want to remove all data from the C;\ Partition
to the E;\ Partition , I created a folder "OUTLOOK" which has the path
"E;\OUTLOOK"

Now , when I repeat the backup operation detailed above I change the
destination of the created "backup.pst" file to
"E:\OUTLOOK\backup.pst"

The size of this "backup.pst" file is 1753 KB .

There has been no intervening deletions or additions to my Contacts
Folder data.

Why this difference ?

B.N.