Old January 13th 08, 10:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)[_6_]

Default Long Term Retention

There are many software packages that can help business users implement a
strategy. Google outlook "backup software", speak to your Microsoft
software partner and see what they have experience with.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant

There are various articles about using Outlook he
www.judygleeson.com/articles.aspx
Canberra, Australia

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each
other?"
George Eliot
"VanguardLH" wrote in message
. ..
"Marsh" wrote in message
We have groups within our company that is required to retain business
e-mails, including attachments, for a period of 7 years. Some
attachments
can be quite large. Mailboxes can become quite bloated.
What I would like to have them do is archive the emails on a monthly
basis,
compress the archive somehow (like a zip file), move the compressed
archive
to a CD, DVD, or even a network directory.
Next month start a new archive and repeat the process.
When necessary, a compressed archive should be decompressed, the archive
restored to read one or more of the e-mails within it, and then
rearchive,
compress, and move back.
What would be the best way to proceed.

Oh boy, a company that expects its employees to individually follow some
backup procedures rather than provide for a centralized backup server with
clients running on each of the workstations. Get a real backup solution.
Stop trying to push the manpower (and try to do so for free) on your
employees.