Old January 12th 08, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

Default Long Term Retention

"Marsh" wrote in message
We have groups within our company that is required to retain
business
e-mails, including attachments, for a period of 7 years. Some
attachments
can be quite large. Mailboxes can become quite bloated.
What I would like to have them do is archive the emails on a monthly
basis,
compress the archive somehow (like a zip file), move the compressed
archive
to a CD, DVD, or even a network directory.
Next month start a new archive and repeat the process.
When necessary, a compressed archive should be decompressed, the
archive
restored to read one or more of the e-mails within it, and then
rearchive,
compress, and move back.
What would be the best way to proceed.

Oh boy, a company that expects its employees to individually follow
some backup procedures rather than provide for a centralized backup
server with clients running on each of the workstations. Get a real
backup solution. Stop trying to push the manpower (and try to do so
for free) on your employees.