Old January 3rd 08, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Default "Create Mail" takes minutes to autocomplete email addresses

I have read all posts in this thread as of this reply.

How many contacts are in your Address Book?
=======================
1. Delete Temporary Internet Files and accept the option to delete all
offline content.

2. Run Disk Cleanup.

3. Run a Defrag session.
=======================
If the behavior persists, Your current Identity may be damaged, especially
if its the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new
Named Identity (File Identities Add new identity). Assuming all is
well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from
the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File
Identities Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Carolyn L Burke wrote:
Minutes!
Is my address book too big? If so, is there a *quick* way to delete old
contacts? Perhaps a third-party tool to manage the contacts I have, and
delete old ones..
If my address book isn't too big, why does a new email take minutes to
autocomplete the addresses in the To: and Cc: fields?

* Already compacted all .dbx files.
* Already rebooted.
* Already archived (manually) folders over 100k.

What next? Thanks!!