Old October 19th 07, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....and "customize" freezes.

Top post

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
news
well, you really aren't at risk of losing the pst, but copying them will
suffice...

Done deal. (just to be on the safe side). ;-)

You earlier mentioned you dual boot.

Correct.

Are you using the same office install
for both OS's (sharing the office files to save drive space)?That can be
problematic, especially if you installed an update in one OS but not in
another.

Negative. I have only one instance of Office XP installed and it has its
home in W98se.Thanks for considering that as a possible factor.

Cheers,... and thanks.
Roxana

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Okie-Dokie...I'm now prepared for that eventuality (mdm, et al). g

Diane wrote: "... it's been forever since I used ol2002."

snip

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and exporting

/
backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any chances, but then
again, who can ? lol)

I'll post back when I've completed this "venture into the unknown". If
this
post gets buried in the morass here (More likely, than not), I'll still
reply herein (and the others which initiated this one will get also get

final post of the result, and only the result), but I may "PING" you
just
so you'll know how I / it fared.

Thanks for your returning to assist me.

Sincerely,
Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
yes, the most recently dated SRS is the one outlook is using.

I believe detect and repair may enable mdm et al, but can't say for

sure
as
its been forever since I used ol2002.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Hi again Diane.

Ok, I googled and it has been made plain that the *.SRS files are
solely
related to the send / receive settings, so it's probably doubtful

that
re-naming it will make any difference as far as 'fixing' my

"customize"
problem. I have also deduced that the reason I have manifold

quantities
of
the .srs files must be due to having changed those settings on

several
occasions.

It is reasonable (?) to assume that the most recent one is the one

that
is
currently in use/ being applied for my current S-R setting and
therefore
would be the one which would be candidate for re-naming (were it
germane
this 'customize' problem).

I'll probably just proceed with "Detect and Repair" then, as the

*.SRS
rename appears to be a red-herring.
Hoping I don't need to re-disable all that MDM.EXE/ OSA.EXE/ Fast
stuff after that. But, if it repairs "customize", that's a small

price
pay.

Fingers crossed, and thanks...
Roxana.

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the

first
troubleshooting steps you should try. In the case of your symptoms,
the
most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat) so detect

and
repair is the next step. If you prefer grasping at straws, delete

or
rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS

don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when

you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)... so it may be worth trying
before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/