Old September 13th 07, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Espana2006

Default Unicode on Outlook 2003

Hi, yes I changed the Font in Notes to Trebuchet MS and when you create new
notes they use this font but if you move notes between folders, they revert
to the default Japanese font. The setting in the menu is overridden.

The note area in tasks seems to follow the setting in notes but again,
moving tasks or opening older ones results in the font being switched back to
a Japanese one and any accented character and the character following are
replaced with Kanji- I think this results from SHIFT-JIS encoding.

I cannot find a way of changing the notes section in contacts. This area is
always in the default system font- Japanese on my system.

As for email, I have WORD active and there is no problem using accented
characters in emails- I can combine Spanish and Japanese without problem. At
least email works!

I have confirmed that the same happens when you install outlook on Japanese
Windows 98. Outlook changes to the system on which it is installed, it
changes the English version to operate like the Japanese one and since the
Japanese dont use accented characters, I cant either..

Perhaps there is some way of forcing Engish outlook to install as it would
install on a non-Japanese PC? (English/ Spanish etc..)??

"Diane Poremsky" wrote:

Did you look in tools, options, mail format, fonts? Encodings are in that
area, somewhere.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Espana2006" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know how to change the default font and character encoding
used
by Outlook? I have installed Outlook 2003 on a Japanese VISTA machine and
the
notes and tasks assume that text will be entered in (a) a Japanese font
and
(b) in JIS format. If I wanted this I would have installed the Japanese
version..!! How can I change the default font and character encoding?