Old January 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security
Fredly

Default PGP vs Digital IDs

Thanks Vanguard. Another question:

Is there a way to automatically sign and encrypt email in Outlook via S/MIME
and Digital IDs to certain contacts all the time without having to manually
check on each email. We do not wat to set these settings for every email
due to the message you must choose "send unencypted" each time.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

"Vanguard" wrote in message
"Fredly" wrote in message
Thank you for the info!!!!

I like the Thawte free option... I was thinking we would need to buy

from
Verisign and pay roughly $15 a month, per ID. What exaclty are the
differnces between a pay cert and a free cert?

Mostly what I said, that all you get as your identity in a freemail cert

is
your e-mail address. That is it! The recipient won't know who you are
unless they know your e-mail address (which is in the cert and NOT the one
in the headers of the e-mail which can be bogus). You can get more
credentials identifying yourself by going through their web of trust

scheme
but I don't know what their WOT notaries charge (you'll have to do that
research yourself). The freemail certs from Thawte expire after 1 year,

so
you'll have to go through the process of getting a new cert and sending
digitally signed mails to your customers so they can use your public key

encrypt their mails that they send to you.

You only need 1 mail cert to let your customers send you encrypted mails.
Each customer will need their own cert to let you send encrypted mails to
them. So you might want to look at Thawte or GeoTrust to see how their
pricing compares against Verisign to determine if you want to a fully
credentialed cert right away (rather than pay WOT notaries and take the

time
to do so for a Thawte cert).

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.