Old November 17th 06, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Default What are "Search Folders.dbx" and is it ok/safe to delete them?

Yes, you may safely delete them (with OE /closed/).

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm = DO THIS BEFORE BACKING UP!

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
in the futu
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

sheana wrote:
Hi,
I want to backup OE, however, when I went to the store folder for my
identity I found about 52 "Search Folder.dbx". They have numbers after
them, i.e. "Search Folder (1).dbx" all the way up to "Search Folder
(52).dbx.

What purpose do they serve, and can I safely delete them? Thanks in
advance.