Search: Posts made by: Larry
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:51 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
Never mind, cont.

By the way, this is the way I found the source of the problem. When I tried
to send the initial news message to this news group, I got an error message:

" Outlook Express could not post your...
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:51 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
Never mind, cont.

By the way, this is the way I found the source of the problem. When I tried
to send the initial news message to this news group, I got an error message:

" Outlook Express could not post your...
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:47 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
Never mind--I found the problem

Somehow the month setting in Date/Time Properties on my computer had been
changed from June to April. I switched it back to June, and now e-mail
works normally.

This also explains another problem...
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:47 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
Never mind--I found the problem

Somehow the month setting in Date/Time Properties on my computer had been
changed from June to April. I switched it back to June, and now e-mail
works normally.

This also explains another problem...
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:36 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 0
Posted By Larry
getting message about security certificate when I try to send/receive e-mails

On my Desktop, on OE6, every time I attempt to send/receive, I get this
message:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate which has
expired or is not yet valid.

"Do you want...
Forum: Outlook Express June 19th 10, 06:36 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
getting message about security certificate when I try to send/receive e-mails

On my Desktop, on OE6, every time I attempt to send/receive, I get this
message:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate which has
expired or is not yet valid.

"Do you want...
Forum: Outlook Express November 3rd 09, 10:53 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 0
Posted By Larry
Eliminating splash screen with OE

In my Windows 98 desktop, I used these instructions to eliminate the splash
screen when starting OE:

To remove the 'splash' screen that appears when opening Outlook Express, you
will need to modify...
Forum: Outlook Express November 3rd 09, 10:53 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 2
Posted By Larry
Eliminating splash screen with OE

In my Windows 98 desktop, I used these instructions to eliminate the splash
screen when starting OE:

To remove the 'splash' screen that appears when opening Outlook Express, you
will need to modify...
Forum: Outlook Express March 30th 08, 07:51 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

I just do it daily.

Wow. I just never thought of OE as being so vulnerable that this kind of
continual attention and maintenance was required to avoid disasters.

I'll certainly have to do that...
Forum: Outlook Express March 29th 08, 11:26 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Thank you everyone.

I just dragged the file, XXX.dbx, back into the OE folder, launched OE, did
a file compact on the folder XXX, and it went down from 1.24 MB to 58 KB.
So that settles that.

As...
Forum: Outlook Express March 29th 08, 09:26 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Sounds like you got major corruption during the lockup/bad shutdown.

Yes, the computer froze, I restarted by pressing the external restart button
on the tower, and after that is when the Inbox...
Forum: Outlook Express March 29th 08, 07:50 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Hi, sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I downloaded OE Reader as recommended, browsed to the Inbox.dbx file (which
I had renamed XXX.dbx and placed on the Desktop), and opened it. Message
said:

"File...
Forum: Outlook Express March 27th 08, 01:14 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

I haven't been following this thread but this confuses me. How did you
determine the size of it when it was 400KB? And when it was 1.24 MB?

By seeing the size of the Inbox.dbx file in Windows...
Forum: Outlook Express March 27th 08, 05:27 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Bruce,

I've done all the steps.

Nothing appears in the Saved Mail folder. Also, when I open Saved Mail.dbx,
it's the same as befo even though the file is 1.24 MB, there are just
the e-mails...
Forum: Outlook Express March 27th 08, 03:58 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Strange things going on (see below), but I think the problem may be
solvable.

1. The Inbox, prior to the problem, would have been around 80 or 90 MB. As
I said, my procedure is to let it build up...
Forum: Outlook Express March 27th 08, 12:44 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

I downloaded the Macallan Outlook Express Extraction and it doesn't offer
any instructions or anything. There's no indication of how to go about
fixing a damaged .dbx file.

The Inbox.dbx is...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 05:45 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

I compact manually every few weeks, usually after I've moved stuff from the
Inbox and Sent folder into my custom folders.

Bottom line is that you should backup OE daily if you value...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

Yes, Show All Messages is checked and nothing else is checked.

The way this happened was: my computer froze last night and I restarted it
by pressing the external restart button on the tower, which...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 02:27 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

There are two inbox.dbx in the present OE folder, they are both very tiny, a
couple of hundred kb. There is one other inbox.dbx in another folder. That
inbox.dbx is of large size around 100 mb, but...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 02:17 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

The folders are all dated today except for a bunch of "Search folder.dbx"
which are very small and cleanup.log which is very amall.

"Fan924" wrote in...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 06:47 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

C:\Recyled is completely empty.

I use Norton Protected Recyle Bin, and it is also completely empty, which is
odd, because it's been a while since I emptied it.

"Fan924" wrote...
Forum: Outlook Express March 26th 08, 05:55 AM Posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 51
Posted By Larry
Inbox contents simply vanished

In OE 6, Windows 98, the entire contents of the Inbox just vanished after
restarting computer. There were about 4 weeks of e-mail in there.

Other folders do not seem to be affected.

I looked in...
Forum: Outlook Express September 13th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
OE became completely inaccessible, then mysteriously came back on its own

It's funny you said gremlin, because that's just what I said to someone else
a few minutes ago, that a gremlin entered my OE store folder and deleted
folders.dbx.

Thanks,
Larry

"Bruce Hagen"...
Forum: Outlook Express September 13th 07, 06:57 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
OE became completely inaccessible, then mysteriously came back on its own

Also, in addition to the folder structure being lost, so that all the
folders are on the same level as Inbox and Sent, there is a bunch of about
40 folders called Search Folder (1), Search folder...
Forum: Outlook Express September 13th 07, 06:39 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Replies: 4
Posted By Larry
OE became completely inaccessible, then mysteriously came back on its own

This is really strange.

Yesterday morning, I stopped being able to access my OE6. I'd get a
"illegal operation" message when I tried. I tried some things including
re-starting the computer but...