Automate copy Outlook email to a .msg file on a local drive - No .

Old January 16th 09, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Cammy

Default Automate copy Outlook email to a .msg file on a local drive - No .

I know that you can drag-drop Outlook messages from the Outlook folder to a
harddrive and vice versa, but I need to programmatically handle this.

I have an application that scans the inbox for certain messages and performs
tasks, such as extracting attachments, on those messages. I then needs to
copy/move the message to a folder on the hard drive as a .msg file. I do not
want to use a .pst file as the individual messages will need to be listed in
the drive folder.

I am useing CDO to process the messages and move them to another folder but
I can't seem to get the copy to the hard drive part figured out. Can anyone
help with this?

Thanks.

Old January 16th 09, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

item.SaveAs will save the item to the file path and name you specify. You
can save it as a MSG file or other format.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old January 16th 09, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Cammy

Default Automate copy Outlook email to a .msg file on a local drive -

We use Exchange Server so I am using MAPI for the mail objects. This dies
not seem to work with MAPI. What am I doing wrong?

I get the message object as follows:

Set oMsgs = oFolder.Messages
Set oMsg = oMsgs.GetFirst

After I do some processing I need to save it to the drive as a .MSG file.

Thanks

Old January 17th 09, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

That looks like CDO 1.21 code. The problem is CDO doesn't have a SaveAs
method, only Update (the equivalent of Save). Do you have Outlook installed
on that computer? If so then use the Outlook object model to get the item
instance and use SaveAs.

Of course if Outlook isn't installed and you're using server side CDO then
there are considerations. That's not compatible when Outlook is installed
and client side CDO is subject to the object model guard unless you use the
admin form in the appropriate public folder.

One alternative you might want to look at is Redemption
(www.dimastr.com/redemption). That's a COM wrapper for Extended MAPI
functions and can replace all your CDO code. It bypasses the Outlook
security and is OK with no Outlook as a server side library. I've used it
that way to talk directly to EX mailboxes for server side code.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]