Outlook Banter

-   Outlook and VBA (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-vba/)
-   -   extract email from message body (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-vba/46964-extract-email-message-body.html)

Edward April 26th 07 03:00 AM

extract email from message body

Can anyone suggest the best way to open each file in an OUtlook subdirectory
and extract an email address from the body of the email? I have mail coming
back as undeliverable, and want to prune those addresses from our lists, but
the address to which the email was sent is not the same as the return
address, which is usually an automated responder from a mail server that
can't find the address in to:

Basically, I'm trying to write code that will say:
go to the undeliverables subdirectory in Outlook;
for each email, check the body of the email for any/all email address(es)
append the email address to a text file;

--
Phantom Researcher

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] April 26th 07 05:20 AM

extract email from message body

You can search the addresses with the Instr function. If there's no specific
position for an address then search for the @ character, then for the
following ' ', and with InstrRev for the leading ' '. Knowing that both
position, you can then extract the string with the Mid function.

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] April 26th 07 02:28 PM

extract email from message body

Or use regular expressions.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] April 26th 07 04:29 PM

extract email from message body

Do you like to explain them here? :)

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
Quick-Cats - Categorize Outlook data:
http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?id=2006063&cmd=detail&lang=en&pub=6

Am Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:28:16 -0400 schrieb Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]:

Or use regular expressions.

Dmitry Streblechenko April 26th 07 05:52 PM

extract email from message body

Actually you don't have to parse anything: what Outlook shows as an NDR body
is dynamically constructed from various recipient properties - look at an
NDR with OutlookSpy (click IMessage button and go to the GetRecipientTable
tab).
You can access these properties using Extended MAPI or Redemption (but not
CDO 1.21 since itt does not provide access to the message recipient table
properties)

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] April 26th 07 09:28 PM

extract email from message body

That's if it's a true NDR from an Exchange server. If it's not, then the message body text has to be parsed.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

ed April 29th 07 04:40 PM

extract email from message body

I can't seem to address the body of the email. I have a routine that cycles
through the index of the Inbox, but am unsure how to actually address the
body of the email. Is it an Item, a message, a body, a PR_body, etc. Can't
seem to address it.

Also, I have a search string, " *@* ", which should work if I can find the
right way to run the body through it. However, the like operator doesn't work
in the AdvancedSearch function.

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] April 30th 07 06:28 AM

extract email from message body

'Scope' is the folder's name, Inbox for instance. This filter works for
plain text:
"urn:schemas:httpmail:textdescription LIKE '%@%'"