Outlook Banter

-   Outlook and VBA (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-vba/)
-   -   Help with mail forward to different users (round robin) (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-vba/31803-help-mail-forward-different-users.html)

[email protected] November 2nd 06 02:29 PM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

I have a difficult problem to solve, hopefully someone here can point
me in the right direction. I am pretty familiar with VBA in Access and
used to use VB script, but don't know where to start.

I want to be able to automatically respond to a lead when it comes in
to a sales inbox. I think I can set up a rule to do that, and also use
a rule to do that during normal business hours?

The other thing I need to do is forward that lead to the first
salesperson on a distribution list, or Access Table, the next lead to
the second salesperson, the third lead to the third salesperson etc.
until the end of the distribution list, then start over. I will also
need to modify the distribution list to suit each salesperson's day
off. Somewhere around 100 - 150 leads needs to be handled in that
manner.

Is there a way to loop through a list and accomplish what I'm
describing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Bob

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] November 3rd 06 06:18 AM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

A rule can respond messages but for an action just during the business hours
youŽd have to code that yourself.

The round robin is easy with an Access table: Add a column to the table, a
value of 1 indicates that the mail is sent. If all entries are set to 1,
reset them all to 0 and start again. Another column (or linked table) could
tell you the personŽs day off(s). If such a person would be the current one
to send the mail to then set the flag=1 and start the procedure again to
select the next person.

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

[email protected] November 3rd 06 12:19 PM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

Thanks for your response!

Could I write code in Outlook that would work with a rule? Ideally, I
would like the round robin to execute automatically when a lead arrives
in the inbox. The application is using Outlook pop mail.

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] November 4th 06 06:29 AM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

Yes, from OL 2002 on you can create a run-a-script-rule. For that the script
must be declared like this:

Public MyScript(Mail as Outlook.MailItem)
End Sub

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

[email protected] November 5th 06 01:25 PM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

Michael,

Thanks for your help!

Hopefully I can try and test this coming week.

Bob

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
Yes, from OL 2002 on you can create a run-a-script-rule. For that the script
must be declared like this:

Public MyScript(Mail as Outlook.MailItem)
..
End Sub

Bob December 5th 06 11:44 AM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

Michael,

Thanks again for your help!
I've got the rule working, and now I'm back to the Round Robin part of
my application. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can reset the
1 value to 0 after all of the entries to the table have been set and
start over?

Bob

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook] December 6th 06 06:24 AM

Help with mail forward to different users (round robin)

If it's the database talks sql, it could look like this:

update [table] set [field]=0 where [field]=1

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook