Outlook 2007 COM Addin Hang while typing in message body

Old March 21st 07, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
Mikey

Default Outlook 2007 COM Addin Hang while typing in message body

Has anybody else had trouble with a COM Addin causing Outlook 2007 to hang or
perform slowly while typing in the message body of an e-mail? The problem
ocurrs intermittently and seems to go away if we turn off our COM Addin. It
appears to be something that OL2007 introduced and our addin is
exasperating....however our code does nothing that should interefere with
typing in a new email or reply email.

Our addin was written using VB6 and Outlook 2000. When I tried to run the
project in the VB IDE on a machine that has Outlook 2007 I was indundated
with various bogus errors about binary compatability and returns types and
arguement types in various public functions had been changed. I had to create
my own Type Enums and declare EVERY outlook constant I used and turn
EVERYTHING into objects and remove the reference to Outlook to get around the
problem. Has anyone run into this as well?
Old March 22nd 07, 01:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I haven't seen that problem with any of my addins, most of which are written
using VB 6 and the Office/Outlook 2000 object models and library references.

The only reason I ever see any errors about binary compatibility is if I
compile an addin on an Outlook 2007 or 2003 dev machine and then re-compile
the same binary back on the Outlook 2000 dev machine.

The Outlook/Office 2000 object models are fully compatible with Outlook
2007, you just don't get any of the later additions unless you late bind
them.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old March 27th 07, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
donald

I created a Com-Addin base on the outlook,MSOUTL9.OLB(outlook 2000 library)
is imported. Below code works well in the
outlook2003, but in the outlook2007, it will throw an exception from the
first line. And this piece of code is called in the onconnection() method
inherit from the interface IDTExtensibility2.

HRESULT hr =
m_inspectors-QueryInterface(__uuidof(IConnectionPointContainer Ptr),
(void**)&pCPCtr);
pCPCtr-FindConnectionPoint(IID_IInspectorsEvents, &m_inspectorsEvents));
m_inspectorsEvents-Advise(this, &m_inspectorsEventsCookie));

Do you think it is a compatibilty problem? Any advice?

Old March 28th 07, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Try not adding any Inspectors events until StartupComplete() fires and see
if that helps.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]