Import contatcts from Excel - select file - next grayed out

Old December 1st 09, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
John L[_2_]

Default Import contatcts from Excel - select file - next grayed out

WinXP Pro SP3
Outlook 2003 (Exchange client)
Excel 2003 XLS (in My Documents)

I am following the process to import an excel spreadsheet of contact info
into outlook 2003.

I select the 97-2003 version XLS in browse but the next button stays gray.

How can I get the contact info iported from excel.

When I first tried the process, it loaded office translator option first. I
even re-booted to see if that would work.

THX

--

*****************
John Lenz

Old December 1st 09, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

#1 - Make sure all your import/export translators are installed
- re-run your setup - ad/remove options - verify that
everything is installed or add it if not
#2 - If eveyrthing is - then do a detect 'n repair from Outlook

Is this only occuring on Excel or every file type listed in the browse
window? You can save your worksheet as a CSV file and try to
import that instead.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer/DataPorter/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old October 9th 13, 05:31 PM
sevenquid sevenquid is offline
Junior Member

I solved this by saving the import csv file somewhere OTHER than the Desktop before trying to import it.

Weird, but it worked.

I've had this confirmed by another member of the firm, who had the same problem on a different computer on a different account.

Hope this helps.
Old September 7th 14, 01:33 PM
uAlrdyKnoWaItIz uAlrdyKnoWaItIz is offline
Junior Member

This maybe years too late, but i recently had this issue....the saving as option suggested works, only if there are carriage returns etc missing.

to ensure successful importing of contacts to excel, you must have the following

1. The file must be saved in csv format
2. Each field should have a header name i.e. , the header for this column would be Email_Address
3. Now if you go through the import and export wizard it should work.
4. I would clear all mappings, and manually map, as sometime outlook guesses wrong

--

John Lenz