Problem Selecting Members to add to new Distribution Lists

Old September 24th 09, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Erin Needs Help!

Default Problem Selecting Members to add to new Distribution Lists

I have been creating and using Distribution lists for years. Using Outlook
2007/Vista. Problem started today when I created new Excel spreadsheets and
imported them into new Contact Folders. When I go to create a New
Distribution list and SELECT MEMBERS - none of the contacts are displaying.

I have already right clicked on the main CONTACTS FOLDER as well as the
individual contact folders below to make sure the "Show This Folder as an
Outlook Address Book" is checked. I am stuck and cannot find a solution
online.

Also, in the original Excel spreadsheets that I imported, I removed the
PRINT AREA and DEFINED THE NAME again for each folder. Then tried to import
the files again and create the distribution lists fresh. Still not working.

Please help! Thank you!
Old September 24th 09, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Importing is not a good way to create Contacts and never has been. Even if
you did happen to map fields correctly, the email addresses will often not
be resolved after an import so there is no way they will appear in the
address book view (which is what you see for "Select Members" dialog in a
DL).
To drill down on this: Open your Contacts Folder and see if the Contacts you
imported appear there. If so, open one of the Contact Record and save that
Contact. That will resolve the email address. Does that Contact now appear
in the address book view?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 24th 09, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Erin Needs Help![_2_]

Thank you, Russ. Well, after all the searching for an answer, I figured it
out. Although the FIELD MAPPING appeared to be working for 3 of the 4 fields
I was importing, it was not mapping the email address for some reason. I
should have scrolled down farther to make sure it was mapping all the fields.