"Full Name" field reversed

Old December 28th 08, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mitch

Default "Full Name" field reversed

In my Contacts, certain, seemingly random names are reversed in the "Full
Name" field. Although each name is listed as FIRST NAME John and LAST NAME
Smith, the contact then appears as FULL NAME Smith John.

I have the settings set consistently to show the "Full Name" as Last First.
The settings include:
-- ToolsAccount SettingsAddress BookChange Show names by First Last
-- ToolsOptionsContact OptionsDefault "Full Name" order First (Middle)
Last and Default "file as" order First Last.

Are there other settings I am missing? Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.
Old December 28th 08, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

How Contacts appear is completely dependent on which view you are using and
we have no idea in which view you are having problems. We don't even know
your Outlook version.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 29th 08, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mitch

Thanks for your response, Russ. I am using Outlook 2007. In this case, the
way the contacts appear is not dependent on the view I am using. The problem
is found in all views that utilize the Full Name field. Everything from
Business Card to Phone List view shows the the Full Names incorrectly.

This problem is affecting a significant portion of my contacts (over 1500)
but not all of them. Although the names were entered as separate fields and
parsed correctly (e.g. First = John and Last = Smith), the Full Name field
(which as been set to display First Last) is incorrectly showing Smith John,
instead of John Smith.

I cannot change the records manually to correct the problem without
incorrectly listing the information in the name fields. As noted above, my
settings appear to be correctly set.

I have searched this and other fora and see others having similar problems,
but I have not seen a solution that works. Any suggestions you can provide
are appreciated.

Community Message Not Available

Old December 29th 08, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Clarify what a "significant proportion" means. You must have more
information than that. Did you create all 1500 of these Contacts in Outlook
2007? If not, how did you populate your Contacts Folder?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 29th 08, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mitch

I do not see why it matters how many contacts are affected or howw they got
into Outlook. But I am happy to supply the info. Hundreds of contacts are
affected, but I have not counted them. The entries were brought into Outlook
over time through manual entry, auto entry through email correspondence and
import from a Palm Desktop. The problem did not coincide with any new data
being imported or created.

Thoughts?

Old December 29th 08, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

There's your problem. Outlook cannot use the settings you prefer with
imported Contacts.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 30th 08, 02:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mitch

Why would the settings in Outlook, particularly

1 - ToolsAccount SettingsAddress BookChange Show names by First Last
2 - ToolsOptionsContact OptionsDefault "Full Name" order First (Middle)

treat imported contacts differently than any other contact?

Mitch
Old December 30th 08, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Contacts created by importing and by syncing are created programmatically by
a process in which Outlook does not participate so Outlook's derived fields
are not subject to the conditions you impose.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]