outlook closes unexpectedly

Old May 31st 08, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Techie who needs help!

Default outlook closes unexpectedly

okay, so now I have a question. How do you find the Inbox Repair Tool?
Where is it located? I have Outlook 2000, 2003 and 2007. But I do not see
an "Inbox Repair Tool" in any of the settings.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

I did not say to use "repair and restore." That won't help.
I said to repair the Outlook Data file (PST file). The means using the Inbox
Repair Tool.
I'd sure look into the video drivers before I re-entered any data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"toni" wrote in message
remove the contact i thought was the problem. when selecting contacts it
would always close when i type an L, so i deleted an account i thought was
the problem. and now i type a K and the program closes. Will continue to
delete contacts to isolate.
I used the repair and restore, didn't help.
i remove and added outlook address book, didn't help.
i created another user, when i import my address book had the same
problem.
I have alot of data in my contacts list, i have to start over.
Thank you for the suggestions.
toni

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Very common problem which Microsoft claims they cannot reproduced, and
therefore cannot solve. Anecdotal reports claim the following may help:
1. Look for and correct an corrupt address in the Contacts displayed in
the
Outlook Address Book.
2. Repair the underlying information store with the Inbox Repair Tool
3. Remove then re-add the Outlook Address Book Service or, better yet,
create a new Outlook profile
4. Update your video drivers.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"toni" wrote in message
1. outlook 2000 sp-3
2. i've had the problem for a while. I can do emails and type in the
address and all works fine. But if I try to use the [To..] button to
select
from my "contacts list" , i can select one or two names and go to add
another
and the program closes with no error message. Sometimes its after 1
name,
sometimes after i've selected 2 names or sometimes after I just slide
the
bar
down on the right and it closes.
Toni

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

At a minimum, to obtain help you would want to post:
1. Outlook version
2.. Precise steps that produce the problem
3. Changes made to your setup just before the problem began.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"toni" wrote in message
when creating an email, outlook closes unexpectedly, when trying to
select
reciprients from contact list.

Old May 31st 08, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well documented:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old August 3rd 12, 06:13 AM
scottrailey scottrailey is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie who needs help! View Post

wrote in message
when creating an email, outlook closes unexpectedly, when trying to
select
reciprients from contact list.

Well, if your Outlook is closing without any reasons, I guess it might be happening if the existing profile contains an .fav file or it could be some unwanted add ins responsible for it. You can try to make a new profile by deleting your existing one, and also remove unwanted add ins.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938941
http://www.repairoutlook2007.com

As far as Scanpst.exe location is concerned, here is the exact location where you can find this inbuilt tool.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\\NT\scanpst.exe in Outlook 2000

for Outlook 2003
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\\scanpst.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\\scanpst.exe

For Outlook 2007
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

good luck!