Outlook 2003 not importing from Excel

Old May 26th 08, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Richard

Default Outlook 2003 not importing from Excel

I have tried a couple of times now to import contacts (28 of them) from a
spreadsheet into Office Outlook 2003 SP3 (running under Vista Home Premium).

The Import dialogue progresses perfectly well, and enables me to select
spreadsheet (though not the page within it!) and the contacts folder to use.
It then lets me map the fields as I wish, and goes through a progress window
where it claims to be importing the entries.

Afterwards I find that none of the entries in the spreadsheet has been
imported. None at all. They aren't in any other contacts list either.

Is this a known problem?

Is there a solution?

TIA
Richard

Old May 26th 08, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Try this - create a couple of contacts in Outlook and export to Excel.
Examine the output and your Excel spreadsheet and massage yours accordingly.
I bet you don't have your field names correct.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Richard asked:

Old May 26th 08, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Most likely cause of problem is the "named range" for the data you want to
import is either not specified in the workbook or is incorrect (other than
that - importing from Excel in Outlook works exactly as advertised).

Alternate solution - save the worksheet you want to import as a CSV file and
import that file into Outlook instead, mapping the fields as required. This
approach saves a lot people a great deal of aggravation since named ranges
do not come into play in this scenario.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old June 2nd 08, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
John[_16_]

Karl,
I have the same problem importing contacts. However, excel will not let me
save the file as a csv. What is the next option?
thanks

Old June 3rd 08, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

If Excel won't let you save worksheet as a CSV file coupled with the
original issue then would suggest creating a new workbook and re-construct
your worksheet. If you can't save it as a CSV file - then you have some more
serious issues with your overall configuration. Alternatively, it is very
possible that you have a corrupted Excel workbook so I wouldn't discount
that as a possibility. We've had a few workbooks sent to us that were
corrupt which only really became evident when we went beyond just opening
the workbook.

Old June 16th 08, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Alan[_3_]

On May 26, 7:26*am, "Richard" (none) wrote:
I have tried a couple of times now to import contacts (28 of them) from a
spreadsheet into Office Outlook 2003 SP3 (running under Vista Home Premium).

The Import dialogue progresses perfectly well, and enables me to select
spreadsheet (though not the page within it!) and the contacts folder to use.
It then lets me map the fields as I wish, and goes through a progress window
where it claims to be importing the entries.

Afterwards I find that none of the entries in the spreadsheet has been
imported. *None at all. *They aren't in any other contacts list either..

Is this a known problem?

Is there a solution?

TIA
Richard

Hi,

If necessary, I think you can try a utility called Advanced Excel
Repair to repair your Excel xls file. It works rather well for my
corrupt Excel xls files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

Alan