Can no longer see fields in contact searches

Old March 12th 08, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
lbeemer

Default Can no longer see fields in contact searches

When I do a search under all contact items, I have the phone list feature set
to show the Company and e-mail address associated with those names.

I tried yesterday to sort by company after I did the search, and all the
companies disapeared completly! Now I have managed to repeat the error
(somehow) with the e-mail addresses too. Now when I do a search all I see is
their name....Please help, I really need to be able to view all of this
information again.

I have tried removing the fields and then re-displaying them that does not
work. I can still see the information under each Contact Group...just not on
the search feature.
Old March 12th 08, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

There's no information here.
Outlook version and search method are the least you'll need to provide.
List the changes you made before you lost this feature.
Does your phone list view still appear intact when you view the Contacts
Folder on which the search was based?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 13th 08, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
lbeemer

It is Outlook 2007. Under contacts - I just use the search bar at the top -
It says "Search all contact Items" if that helps. I did not make any changes
except to try and sort the list by company. It was sorted by name - then had
company and e-mail columns as well. I clicked on the company column to sort
and all the Company names just disappeared.

The phone list feature is working fine in all of my other folders. The
search view is the only one I am having problems with. I have around 1000
customers in my contacts, but seperated into several folders, so am desperate
to be able to search all folders at once...but need thier company info to
display. I have tried switching the view to address cards, etc. but it still
does not display the information unless I open each contact.

Thanks!
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

There's no information here.
Outlook version and search method are the least you'll need to provide.
List the changes you made before you lost this feature.

Old March 13th 08, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Use Advanced Find instead of Instant Search and see if you can reproduce the
problem. No one has ever reported this that I've ever seen. Look for other
changes you've made, add-ins, custom forms--anything that makes you
different from everyone else.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"lbeemer" wrote in message
[...]

List the changes you made before you lost this feature.

Old March 13th 08, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
lbeemer

Now when I try to do an instant search the whole program freezes. I have no
idea what has happened. I have tried to run a repair on outlook, but that did
not fix it. I am going to attempt to re-install the program. I will let you
know.

"lbeemer" wrote in message
[...]

List the changes you made before you lost this feature.

Old March 13th 08, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Clearly there is a lot more to your story than you have divulged.
Reinstalling Outlook won't help anything. Since you have no information to
provide, I would at least try the generic options that might help:
1. Repair your data file
2. Create a new profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"lbeemer" wrote in message
[...]

List the changes you made before you lost this feature.

Old March 14th 08, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
lbeemer

Trust me, I really need to get this fixed and it has put a major damper on my
ability to complete a time sensitive project. If there was any information at
all that could help fix this problem I would be divulging it!

The problem with the instant search turned out not to be the searching part,
but displaying the results...on a whim I put in some jibberish and found no
results returned. After changing the current "view" in that all contacts
section the search feature worked again. I changed several things, so I am
unsure what setting was freezing it up, but it could not display any results
that it found.

However I am still encountering the same problem with the fields refusing to
dispay under the search all contacts view using the instant search. I was
unsure what you meant by trying an advanced search, but by expanding the
quary builder I did encounter the same problem.

I have concluded on my own that because I can not see the fields in question
under any view of search results, that there is some qlitch with the fields
not the view settings. I bet if I added a different field/column, and then
tried to sort by it, it would disapper permantly as well.

I suppose it is something I will just have to find some way to work around.

"lbeemer" wrote in message
[...]

List the changes you made before you lost this feature.

Old March 14th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
lbeemer

Here is something else really stange I just discovered....If I make a change
to a contact, or add a new contact thier field information shows up again!

"lbeemer" wrote in message
[...]

List the changes you made before you lost this feature.