Importing contacts from Excel

Old September 30th 07, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ginnymc5199

Default Importing contacts from Excel

I successfully imported contacts from Excel, but zip codes were not formatted
correctly. They were missing "0" when "0" was the first digit. (Zips were
formatted as zip codes in Excel.) What to do?!?!? Thank you!
Old October 1st 07, 05:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
BillR [MVP]

You might be able to run some code to change them. Check in the Outlook
Programming group.

--
Bill R

Old October 1st 07, 06:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Your Zip Codes are being treated as numeric fields on import which
eliminates leading zeros.

Quick solution that should resolve your problem::

Save your worksheet as a CSV file and import that instead of the Excel
worksheet

Karl

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old October 28th 07, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

On Oct 1, 10:22 am, "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
Your Zip Codes are being treated as numeric fields on import which
eliminates leading zeros.

Quick solution that should resolve your problem::

Save your worksheet as a CSV file and import that instead of the Excel
worksheet

Karl

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"http://www.contactgenie.com

"Ginnymc5199" wrote in message

I successfully imported contacts from Excel, but zip codes were not
formatted
correctly. They were missing "0" when "0" was the first digit. (Zips were
formatted as zip codes in Excel.) What to do?!?!? Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

when you save the xls file using method '083938938 and then save it as
csv file never open it using excel again.
just import the file and you ll find zero. if you want to at al open
it use a notepad. it is excel that removes o if you open csv formated
file.

Old November 3rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ginnymc5199

I've saved as a CSV file and found that formatting, including "special" zip
code format in Excel was lost. When I imported into Outlook, leading zero's
were still missing. I've tried a couple of times.

Could this be related to a problem merging data from Excel into Word, which
began with Office 2003 in Win XP? Numeric data is not formatted correctly
unless the user first, tells Word to "confirm conversion" & then confirms
that data is "Excel worksheet via DDE." I used to run mail merges without
difficulty, then one year I had a problem - zip codes were missing leading
zeros. A co-worker in my new job, found that dates and times were not
formatted correctly when she ran merges. I did some research and found the
solution in Word Help, by searching for "DDE." I think that if I knew how to
tell Outlook that my data is from "Excel via DDE," I could import my contacts
with properly formatted zip codes.

I apologize for not replying sooner. I thought I did reply last month, but
I've been very busy with a new job, and apparently did not reply promptly.
Sorry!!!!

Old November 3rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ginnymc5199

Thank you! I just tried again, for the umpteenth time, saved as a CSV file,
then saved again in Notepad. This time I imported zip codes complete with
leading zeroes! I didn't understand your reference to method 083938999938,
but when I saw the correct zip codes in Notepad, I began to think this might
actually work!
Thank you, again.