Error 0x80070057

Old September 6th 07, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
dema

Default Error 0x80070057

Hi,
I have transferred (export/import) my contacts from the computer at work
(outlook 2003) to the computer at home (outlook 2007).
Now when I try to send message to certain contacts I receive this error
message:
! “Task – Sending” reported error (0x80070057): “Could not
complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.”
Can someone help me please?
Thank you
dema
Old September 6th 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Exporting and importing is never the correct way to transfer data, so most
likely you corrupted your addresses. Try again using a supported method for
data transfer.
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 6th 07, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

First, certainly agree with Russ that exporting contact info purely for the
purposes of moving info between 2 computers is definitely not the "optimum"
approach (particularly if exporting/importing to a PST file via Outlook's
import/export wizard and especially between 2 different versions of Outlook
but that's an "after the fact" statement. One thing we hate is dealing with
is contact info in a PST file created by Outlook's import/export wizard. The
few times we have had to because of reported problems - issues have arisen
more often then not and ultimate causes were found NOT to be related to our
import/export products which were accused as being the cause of the problems
encountered but rather the source PST file being used and/or issues with the
Outlook config itself.)

Assume that the error your encountering (0x80070057 =
MAPI_E_INVALID_PARAMETER) is for O'2007 and that everything otherwise
appears normal when reviewing the info for the contact (such as no
extraneous characters in the email field etc). A few things to ask/suggest:

#1 - If you create a new contact (a duplicate for the one that results in
the error when sending an email) - does the problem still exist? If no, then
likely cause is a corrupted copntact record in the PST file.
#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may exist in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

If all of that fails - copy your contacts again from your work machine by
copying a PST file containing your contacts. Either copy your current PST
file which will contain all email etc or create a new PST and new Contact
folder and MOVE contacts from original PST to new PST/Contact Folder - then
open new PST file in O'2007.

If you imported your data from a format other then a PST file, would be hard
pressed to believe that the Outlook import process itself was the cause.
More likely than not being some other pre-existing issue with your Outlook
config that simply got noticed/highlighted after any import/export.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old September 6th 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
dema

First, thank you for the help.

I tried to repair the .pst file with SCANPST. It was damaged but it didn’t
help. I still have the same error.
I create a new contact with the same information as the contact that didn’t
works… The new contact work fine… So the Problem as you say is the corrupted
contact!!

At work the contacts are on the exchange server.
What is the best way to “move” contacts?

Thank you
dema

#1 - If you create a new contact (a duplicate for the one that results in
#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may exist in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

Old September 6th 07, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Just create a PST file in that profile, then copy the data you want to
transfer to that file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

#1 - If you create a new contact (a duplicate for the one that results in
#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

Old September 7th 07, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
dema

What I did:
I created a new .pst File
I’ve “attached” this to Outlook (at work) and copied all contacts in the
..pst file.
I took the .pst file at Home and “attached” it to Outlook… copied the
contacts in the contact folder.
The Problem is still there!

#1 - If you create a new contact (a duplicate for the one that results in
#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

Old September 7th 07, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Transferring data correctly now won't fix the data that was transferred
incorrectly the first time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may
exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may
exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

Old September 7th 07, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Just to recap this series of events starting with your first message:

"I have transferred (export/import) my contacts from the computer at work
(outlook 2003) to the computer at home (outlook 2007)."

Had I noticed/asked/mentioned about the "original" source of your contacts
being Exch or not (which I didn't and incorrectly assumed a PST file) when
asking you to create a new contact etc - should have mentioned in the
follow-up that the corrupt contact exists in Exchange so moving the original
(corrupt) data won't be of any use. We've run across corrupt Exch contact
records on more then one occasion and this is an issue that can only be
rectified by your Exchange admin (or someone who wants to recreate the
contacts affected). A corrupted contact record in Exchange can show itself
in various different ways and have found in some instances - errors are
returned when only specific fields are accessed (the Email Addr certainly
appears to be one of those fields in this case).

Note to anyone else reading this that uses Exchange:

Just because you do not see an error within Outlook does not mean that one
or more contact records haven't become corrupted. You may in fact never
notice the issue until you attempt to access all records via an export
process (as a for instance) or a specific contact that is corrupt. It is not
the export process that has the problem - it is the "source data" which
needs to be corrected - nothing any kind of export process can do to correct
the problem. This is not a theoretical statement but one from experience on
more then one occasion (i.e. delete problem contact(s) - associated problems
also disappear).

#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may
exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.

#2 - Run a ScanPST on your PST file to resolve any errors that may
exist
in
your PST file and see if the problem persists?
#3 - Repair your Outlook installation.