problem after importing from Excel

Old September 5th 07, 06:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LAV

Default problem after importing from Excel

I imported names from an Excel spreadsheet to Outlook. Something has gone
horribly wrong! I now have 32,750 blank contacts in my Contacts folder.
The legitimate contacts from the spreadsheet, which number about 15, are not
in the Address Book since I hadn't imported the email addresses yet.

HOW do I fix this?
Old September 5th 07, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"LAV" wrote in message
I imported names from an Excel spreadsheet to Outlook. Something has gone
horribly wrong! I now have 32,750 blank contacts in my Contacts folder.
The legitimate contacts from the spreadsheet, which number about 15, are
not
in the Address Book since I hadn't imported the email addresses yet.

HOW do I fix this?

Why did you import the Names at a different time to the email addresses? Why
not import them all at once?
Did you export a contact from Outlook to check that your Excel spreadsheet
was in the same format?
Did you name the range in Excel?

Old September 5th 07, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LAV

I can answer all your questions by saying I clearly did not know what I was
doing. I went to Help in Excel to find out how to export from Excel to
Outlook and thought I was following the directions. I didn't know how to do 2
columns at once, so I took the first column, A, called it "names" and
followed the directions in Help.

Old September 5th 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"LAV" wrote in message
I can answer all your questions by saying I clearly did not know what I was
doing. I went to Help in Excel to find out how to export from Excel to
Outlook and thought I was following the directions. I didn't know how to
do 2
columns at once, so I took the first column, A, called it "names" and
followed the directions in Help.

OK. So what you need to do is do delete all the wrong contacts in Outlook.
if you use the "Categories" view then you should be able to select them all
at one go.
Then, either export an existing contact (or create one if you haven't got
any) to Excel and check that the worksheet you want to import from is of the
same format.
Then, in the worksheet you want to import, select all the data, and give
that range name.
then, in Outlook, do File-Import.

HTH

Old September 6th 07, 02:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LAV

Thanks Gordon. I really appreciate your help.
In Contacts, while looking at the view by Category, I do not see where I
have the ability to select anything. There seems to be only the ability to
change how the contacts are sorted (i.e. icon, attachments, flags).

I calculated that if I manually deleted one entry per second it would take
about 9 hours of continuous deletion. Please don't suggest THAT option!

But seriously, is there a way to copy my contacts to another place, delete
the entire list, then reinstate my saved contacts?

Old September 6th 07, 07:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"LAV" wrote in message
Thanks Gordon. I really appreciate your help.
In Contacts, while looking at the view by Category, I do not see where I
have the ability to select anything.

Sort by Name, so all the blank contacts are in one block. Click on the top
contact (highlight it), then scroll down to the bottom of the block, and
click on the bottom contact using Shift-Click. If you do this right, that
will select ALL the contacts in between the two. Then hit "Delete".

HTH

Old September 8th 07, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LAV

Thank you!!
You are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!
LAV

Old September 8th 07, 08:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"LAV" wrote in message
Thank you!!
You are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!