Recover contacts in Outlook 2002

Old August 22nd 07, 03:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Paul Lady

Default Recover contacts in Outlook 2002

I have lost my contacts on a damaged HDD in Outlook 2002 (XP).

Yes, my backup was out of date a month!

I can now access this data with the drive installed as a slave.

Is there a way to recover my contacts?

TIA, pjl
Old August 22nd 07, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Paul Lady wrote:

I have lost my contacts on a damaged HDD in Outlook 2002 (XP).

Yes, my backup was out of date a month!

I can now access this data with the drive installed as a slave.

If the HDD is damaged, there's no guarantee you'll be able to access
anything on it and even if you can, depending on the nature of the damage,
you could damage it further each time you do access it. What was the nature
of the damage?

Is there a way to recover my contacts?

Since all of your Outlook data was kept in a single file called the PST,
copying that PST to the new HDD and adding it to your Outlook profile should
restore your access to it (provided the original HDD damage doesn't affect
that file). See this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old August 23rd 07, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Paul Lady wrote:

Thank you very much, you solved my problem.

Glad to hear it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Old August 24th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Paul Lady

I just encountered another "funny" in this episode.

I burned a CD of the relevant *.pst files so that I could recover the rest
of the personal folder contents.

The CD burned but it would not allow access from outlook,open,data file.
some comment like not authorized. files are marked read only, is this the
problem? how do I change that with the CD burner? I tried and did not find
any option to set file properties.

TIA, again, pjl

Old August 24th 07, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Paul Lady wrote:

I just encountered another "funny" in this episode.

I burned a CD of the relevant *.pst files so that I could recover the
rest of the personal folder contents.

The CD burned but it would not allow access from outlook,open,data
file. some comment like not authorized. files are marked read only,
is this the problem?

You must have read/write access to a PST in order to open it.

how do I change that with the CD burner? I
tried and did not find any option to set file properties.

You can't change the attributes on the CD. CDs are, by definition, read
only. COpy the PSTs you your hard drive and then remove the read-only
attribute.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]