Outlook BCM and Exchange Server

Old January 26th 06, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Scott

Default Outlook BCM and Exchange Server

We are looking to implement our contact management using BCM - the latest
service pack incorporates SQLServer Desktop Engine and utilises a central
database that we'd like to put where everyone that accesses BCM would be able
to sync up to - namely the same server as Exchange/Server Small Biz resides
on. Are there any problems/performance issues with this strategy? Or is there
another solution. Do we need to just install the service pack on the server
or is there specific patch for such cases?
Thanks!
Old January 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

BCM doesn't use a central database like that. Each user has their own local database, but they can be shared. Also, note that BCM is installed locally, not on the Exchange server.

FYI, there is a separate newsgroup for BCM issues -- microsoft.public.outlook.bcm
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Scott

I am interpreting from your response - If databases can be shared, we could
use one database and share it between all users, but it would have to reside
on a client PC rather than a server? The only problem I foresee would be the
stability/security of using a client as a db host. i.e relying on the user of
that machine to leave the machine logged in at all times so others can access
it.

If our intent to use it as a central repository of CRM management is
off-base what is the point of sharing databases?

Old January 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

As I understand it, the latest version of BCM still requires each user to be running their own local MSDE database instance, but it does support some sharing, I imagine through replication from one user's copy of the database to another. The place to ask for more technical details would be the BCM newsgroup I suggested.

Bottom line, though, is that BCM is not a centralized database as you would normally think of it. BCM was originally designed as a standalone, personal contact management tool. Sharing was added later.

It sounds like what you want is something more like Microsoft CRM, which was designed from the ground up as a centralized, server-based database.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP