Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - Using Contacts (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-using-contacts/)
-   -   How do I send same email to many contacts? (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-using-contacts/19223-how-do-i-send-same.html)

Jo Foster June 28th 06 06:44 PM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

I have carefully compiled my contacts list so I can "find" everyone in a
particular category but have not done "distribution lists" because several
people fit more than one. But how do I send a group an email? I managed it in
Outlook Express by having separate address lists and even managed
"undisclosed recipient". I can't understand micrsoft's instructions, or
indeed find them!
I'm using XP Professional

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] June 28th 06 07:11 PM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

Use the By Category view of your Contacts.
Select a Category
Actions New Message to Contact
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Jo Foster June 28th 06 10:08 PM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

I didn't put any categories on the contacts list, just a keyword or place or
committee name in the notes section. This works for the purposes of pulling
up all those relevant contacts using "find", e.g. Haringey Council, or farm
committee or farm staff. So I decided to add categories in the space provided
only to find that you must choose from a pre-assigned list: business, phone,
etc. Can't I insert my own categories? I know I receive emails addressed to
"friends and family" or "political" or "elephants".

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] June 29th 06 04:06 AM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

How odd.
You said you created categories.
Next time, say what you mean. It'll save us some time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Judy Gleeson June 29th 06 08:54 AM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

Change to Phone List view and then you can select a whole bunch of people.
If you do get around to Categorising, grouping by Category is useful.

There are many posts here about mailmerging. Try a search.

--
Judy Gleeson, MVP Outlook
www.acorntraining.com.au

Jo Foster June 29th 06 10:08 AM

How do I send same email to many contacts?

I am not a geek and didn't mean creating categories in a technical, more a
general, sense. I just inserted one or more keywords in the notes section,
which is adequate for the purpose of isolating a group of relevant people in
most instances, though obviously not for emailing. Thanks to your earlier
reply, I am well on the road to success, having observed that by inserting a
category code in the space ALONGSIDE the category button these contacts then
appear together in category view. I haven't tried emailing them yet as I
still have 300 to enter.