Translation Error While Importing Contacts (.csv file)

Old May 18th 06, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rick

Default Translation Error While Importing Contacts (.csv file)

Please forgive me if this has been covered before, I could not find any
I am trying to Import contacts to a new Contact Folder from Excel. I have
setup the worksheet, included a row with column names, and saved it as a
..csv file. I saved it to my C:\ directory to remove any possibility of
network problems.
I then use the Import a File Wizard in Outlook, select to import a .csv,
pick my file (named BusContacts.csv), and select the new contacts folder I
created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I receive this error:
---------------
Translation Error
A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator
while initializing a translator to build a field map.
Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv".
Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it,
and that it is not open in another program.
OK.
---------------
I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not
open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed
Excel too!).
I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and
Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on this page
(http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/d...ErrorID=24656).

It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather than the
data file itself.
Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in
advance. ~ Rick....

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to
import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress
and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar
appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99%
full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook,
that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update,
but would just hang. I deleted that contact folder and created a new one for
the above. Not sure if any of that matters, but I'm trying to be thorough. ~
Rick...

Old May 19th 06, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts

Rick wrote:
created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I receive this error:
---------------
Translation Error
A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator
while initializing a translator to build a field map.
Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv".
Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it,
and that it is not open in another program.
OK.
---------------

I just got this error too on a fresh Outlook 2003 install. I am trying
to bring in contacts from palm desktop, but it keeps erroring out on
me. I hope someone here has an answer.

Matthew

Old May 21st 06, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Try this instead. Create a couple of contacts in Outlook and export them to
excel. Compare your file with the one Outlook created and massage yours
accordingly. Remember, Outlook will not import or export custom fields
natively. That requires third party software or code you would need to
write.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Rick asked:

Old May 22nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rick

Great idea! That worked!!!
I input 3 addys the way I wanted them and exported it. Then I cut and pasted
my data from the file I had that Outlook didn't like into the file I had
exported. Adjusted and saved it. Ran the import wizard and boom! All in!
Thanks for the tip! ~ Rick...

Now if I can just figure out how to change the "File As" from "Last Name,
First Name" to "Company Name" for all the records at once, I'll be set! I'm
on it!