How do I delete emails names from new massage drop down list

Old May 2nd 06, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
ENurse

Default How do I delete emails names from new massage drop down list

When I select "New" for a New email and begin to type the first letter of a
contact a dropdown list appears...how do I get rid of those unwanted names
addresses in this list?????????
Old May 2nd 06, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

ENurse wrote:

When I select "New" for a New email and begin to type the first
letter of a contact a dropdown list appears...how do I get rid of
those unwanted names addresses in this list?????????

Use your down arrow to select the one you don't want and then press Delete.
--
Brian Tillman
Old May 3rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
MBIEnt

I have a related question. Where are all those names in the drop down
box stored? They are not in Contacts. Is there a way to see ALLof
these names and related info in a list?

I would like to edit and delete a number of them, but have no idea
where to find them. Tried opening the Address Book, but all the
entries in there were the same as the Contacts.

Would love to have this mystery solved.

Old May 3rd 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

MBIEnt wrote:

I have a related question. Where are all those names in the drop down
box stored?

%AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\mailprofile.NK2

where "mailprofile" matches the name of your mail profile.

They are not in Contacts. Is there a way to see ALLof
these names and related info in a list?

I would like to edit and delete a number of them, but have no idea
where to find them. Tried opening the Address Book, but all the
entries in there were the same as the Contacts.

See if this helps:
http://www.ingressor.com/autocompletetips.htm
--
Brian Tillman
Old May 3rd 06, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
MBIEnt

Thank you, that cleared up the mystery about the source of the items on
the drop-down list, but now I have several another questions.

I've noticed that some of those items on the drop down list are entries
I previously removed from Contacts. If I wanted to add those entries
back in to Contacts, how would I do that?

Also, some of the items are just email addresses. How would I add
those to Contacts (I know I would then have to fill in the name and
other fields in the Contact record)?

If I turned off Auto Complete and left Auto Resolution on (Select
Names), I am assuming that the only prompts I would get in the drop
down box would be Contact entries, right?

Thanks.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

MBIEnt wrote:

Thank you, that cleared up the mystery about the source of the items
on the drop-down list, but now I have several another questions.

I've noticed that some of those items on the drop down list are
entries I previously removed from Contacts. If I wanted to add those
entries back in to Contacts, how would I do that?

Well, the Ingressor tool should be able to do that. Other than that,
manually is the only way I know.

Also, some of the items are just email addresses. How would I add
those to Contacts (I know I would then have to fill in the name and
other fields in the Contact record)?

Same answer.

If I turned off Auto Complete and left Auto Resolution on (Select
Names), I am assuming that the only prompts I would get in the drop
down box would be Contact entries, right?

If you turn off Auto Completion, you will not get a drop-down list at all.
You'd get the normal autoresolution pop-up.
--
Brian Tillman

Old May 3rd 06, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
MBIEnt

Thank you for your quick, helpful and infromative responses.

One last question on this subject:

Is there any way to open & edit the NK2 file, or is that a bad idea?

Old May 3rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

MBIEnt wrote:

One last question on this subject:

Is there any way to open & edit the NK2 file, or is that a bad idea?

The Ingressor tool allows editing. I know of no other way.
--
Brian Tillman
Old May 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
MBIEnt

OK, using the down arrow and Delete key, I got all of the garbage out
of the drop down list for each alpha character, now, I would like to
know how to have all of the names in CONTACTS be included in the drop
down list for each of those alpha characters.

Several of the CONTACT names on the drop down list did not appear the
same there as I had them set-up in CONTACTS, so I deleted them, now,
they don't show up at all. Where did I go wrong here?

Old May 5th 06, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

MBIEnt wrote:

OK, using the down arrow and Delete key, I got all of the garbage out
of the drop down list for each alpha character, now, I would like to
know how to have all of the names in CONTACTS be included in the drop
down list for each of those alpha characters.

You can populate the autocompletion cache with all your Contacts by opening
your Contacts folder, selecting them all with CTRL-A, and then clicking
ActionNew Message to Contact. This will create a compose window with all
your Contact addresses in it. It will also include all contacts with NO
mail address by including their names. You can remove them from the To
list. Now, click CTRL-K to perform a resolution of all those addresses,
which will place the addresses in the autcompletion cache, up to 1,000
entries. You can then close the compose window without sending any message.

Several of the CONTACT names on the drop down list did not appear the
same there as I had them set-up in CONTACTS, so I deleted them, now,
they don't show up at all. Where did I go wrong here?

Remember that the autocompletion cache is completely unrelated to your
Contacts. All it contains are addresses you've previously resolved.
--
Brian Tillman