How do I setup an EXCEL file to import to Outlook 2003 contact?

Old April 9th 06, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Fred Zimnoch

Default How do I setup an EXCEL file to import to Outlook 2003 contact?

I basically exported a contact folder to an EXCEL file. Then I thought I
could just add new row (records) to this Excel file and import back into
OUTLOOK. I go through the steps but new records are not imported.
--
FRED
Old April 9th 06, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You'll need to provide at least some information. There is none here.
What were you trying to achieve by exporting Outlook data to a different
format, then re-importing it? I can think of no reason to do so unless you
wanted to lose or corrupt your data.
You said you go through "the steps." What steps exactly and what happens?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 9th 06, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Fred Zimnoch

What I want to do is create a contact folder with a list of people and
organizations that I want to send emails to. The list may be up to 200
entries.

Doing this by adding individual contacts in MS Outlook is time consuming.

It’s easier in EXCEL. So I’d like to create a contact list in Excel and
import it into a MS contact folder.

To test this operation I created a contact folder in EXCEL and using the
OUTLOOK wizard I exported it to EXCEL. It worked fine.

I added a couple of new rows to the EXCEL file and used the Outlook wizard
to import it into MS Outlook and that worked fine.

When I tried to add more rows to the EXCEL file and import with wizard to MS
OUTLOOK the new rows did not appear in Outlook after importing.

Can you provide an example of how to do this correctly?

Thanks.
--
FRED

Old April 9th 06, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Dubious claim. Explain why adding Contacts in Outlook is more difficult than
adding them in Excel.
Your contention suggests you are simply not familiar with Outlook.

Old April 10th 06, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You need to expand the named range to cover the newly added rows, then save the worksheet.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old April 10th 06, 01:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Fred Zimnoch

HI Sue:

Thanks

How do I "expand the named range to cover the newly added rows"????

TIA, FRED

Old April 10th 06, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Insert | Range | Define

The named range needs to cover all the rows and columns you want to import, including column headings.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old April 10th 06, 04:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Fred Zimnoch

Hi, Well in Excel I can work in a worksheet were all fields are visible,
I can also type in column field and tab or move to next field. Hit enter to
find myself in the next row and start again. Also I'm more familiar with
Excel commands so mistakes are easier to correct.

If you have an example that shows MS Outlook to be as easy and straight
forward I'll not only be happy to try it but I might be come a cheering
customer.

Old April 10th 06, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Fred Zimnoch

HI Sue,

Thanks for reply.

How do I "name a range"? Do I do it in Excel or Outlook?

TIA

Old April 10th 06, 10:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You can also work in a Table view in Outlook if you prefer that.
Considering the difficulty you are having trying to work first in Excel then
import into Outlook, you clearly need to broaden your horizon.