Outlook 2007 & Windows 7 & the mail icon isn't the control panel

Old February 6th 10, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
[email protected]

Default Outlook 2007 & Windows 7 & the mail icon isn't the control panel

I got this new computer with Windows 7 OS. I installed outlook 2007, and in
the mist of configuring the network email account, I made a couple of small
mistakes. But I cant figure out how to get back into Outlook to change the
settings. Normally, in XP or Vista, I would go to the control panel, and
click on the mail icon, and go and change the settings, HUT there is not mail
icon in the control panel for Windows 7. I have looked all over.

I tried unistalling and re-installing, but it is saving the settings
somehow, so I dont get the change to change the settings, it autamatically
tries logging in with the old settings.... Any ideas I need help!
Old February 6th 10, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
neo

You didn't mention if you are running a 32 or 64bit version of Windows 7.
In any case, if the Mail applet doesn't show in the control panel by going
to the control panel and then using the search box in the top (e.g. type
mail), then you should be able to double click on:

Windows 7 32bit:
c:\program files\microsoft office\office 12\mlcfg32.cpl

or Windows 7 64bit:
c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\office 12\mlcfg32.cpl

Old February 7th 10, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
[email protected]

Default Outlook 2007 & Windows 7 & the mail icon isn't the control pan

This is a 64-bit operating system. I went to the start icon at the bottom
left hand of the screen, and typed into the search box above it "mail'. And
a lot of stuff came up, but NO mail applet. I am pretty computer literate,
and am totally baffled by this whole experience. Why in gods creation would
Microsoft make things soo much harder than it needs to be. I appreciate any
insight and help you could give me in this matter. I just would like to get
into the mail settings to get my outlook to work, and cant even find the area
to get the mail settings changed....
thx

.

Old February 7th 10, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine

Start by doing what neo posted instead of what you did. Read his post more
carefully if necessary.
--
Russ Valentine

Old February 7th 10, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
neo

It won't find it from where you tried. Open the control panel and then use
the search box in the top right of the control panel's window. Don't ask
why it doesn't find it the other way. Just know it doesn't as our systems
behave the same when I try it the way you described.

Old February 12th 10, 01:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
[email protected]

Ok, sorry, I didn't realize that. So I did it, and the mail 32-bit icon
showed, and
I made the necessary changes.... Now when I try to connect, it tells me
"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online
or connected to complete this action." But I am connected to the internet...
So not
sure what is going on? The only thing I notice is when I go into mail
setup, and
go the the general tab, I check off in the start up section to
"automatically detect
connection", but after I try opening Outlook, and it doesnt connect, and I
go back
to check the settings, it has gone back to the other setting of "Manually
detect
connection setttings." Any ideas on what I need to do?
thx so much for all your help...

Old February 12th 10, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
neo

Not the end of the world. The first question I need to ask is are your
trying to connect to your corporate (work) email system or your friendly ISP
that provides your home with an internet connection? If the later, remember
that most ISPs don't provide Exchange accounts. You would actually be
setting up a POP3/IMAP connection based on whatever instructions they
provide.

If the former, your IT department at work should be able to help you
establish a connection if they permit what you want to do. Just remember
that they own the system and have every right to dictate use.