Outlook email address books problems

Old September 22nd 09, 10:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Anne

Default Outlook email address books problems

Outlook 2003, SP3
I moved my data to a different hard drive. My pst file is located on this F
drive, the name in outlook is AP2009.
Both Contacts and Business are checked as email address books, but a 2nd
contact address book keeps showing up. When I check it out under view address
books, it shows
Business: AP2009
Contacts: AP2009
Contacts: Personal Folder
I don't know where this personal folder comes from and I don't seem to be
able to get rid of it.

Old September 22nd 09, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Hard to answer without more specific information on how you moved your data
and connected it to the new installation. Any reason you can't simply remove
the unwanted folder from the address book view? Normally, you would do so
he
Tools E-mail accounts View or change existing directories or address
books Outlook Address Book Change…
If you can't then provide information we can use with your reply, like how
you migrated your data, whether you let Outlook set up its own default data
file, and how you migrated your old file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 22nd 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Anne

I had an internal hard drive which had the drive letter F. I added an
external hard drive and synced the data to this drive. Used Computer
management and renamed F to another letter, then renamed the other external
drive and made it F. I rebooted and opened outlook. Theoretically Outlook
should not have noticed that the drive was even changed.
I think this happened earlier this week and I had not yet noticed. I had to
reconfigure my computer from scratch (windows Vista). Upon opening Outlook,
it wanted me to create an email account and I declined, but to open Outlook
you have to do it.
I then deleted the the outlook.pst from the C drive, under users. Upon
re-opening outlook I was asked where the personal folder was and I directed
it to the F drive. The file on the F drive is now my mail delivery location.

Old September 23rd 09, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That was enormous amount of information you left out. Did you think we were
mind readers?
You "synced the data to this drive?" What does that mean?
You have created an indecipherable quagmire that violates every supported
method for migrating Outlook data. Why did you not use any of the supported
methods for migrating Outlook data? Your term "theoretically" is beyond
wishful thinking.
Read the posts here on how to migrate Outlook data correctly. Follow them.
Tell us if they don't work and why.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 23rd 09, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

On second thought, I suspect that you so thoroughly altered the descriptors
Outlook uses for identifying its data file, that you will never be able to
repair this Outlook profile. I'd start over with a new profile and connect
it properly to the new location of your data file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 23rd 09, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Anne

Actually my sync was just making a copy of data to a new drive.
As far as the new configuration, I did read up and it looks like I did it
correctly.
Either way, it seems that I will have to create a new profile to clean
things up.
Until I have time to deal with it, I will just skip over the extra contact
list, when selecting email contract. The non-existing contact list is listing
in the middle, so I do not get the annoying error message.

I do wish Microsoft would come up with some way to backup our own email
addresses and defaults. Can you back up the signatures? I can still boot to
the old hard drive and get info off if I need to.

Old September 23rd 09, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I suspect you didn't do it correctly. If you changed any aspect of your PST
file outside of Outlook without then reconnecting that file to your profile,
there is no way Outlook could use it. Backing up Outlook data is unlike any
other procedure you may have used for backing up other data, but it can be
done if you follow the proper procedures, all documented he
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 24th 09, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Anne" wrote in message

I do wish Microsoft would come up with some way to backup our own email
addresses and defaults.

Backing up is as easy as copying in Windows Explorer.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Can you back up the signatures? I can still boot to
the old hard drive and get info off if I need to.

If you haven't change the associated registry setting, sigatures are in
%AppData%\Microsoft\Signatures. Just copy them to make a backup.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old September 24th 09, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Anne

I am talking about being able to back up my email account settings and
Outlook setup defaults, not contacts.
I will boot to my old harddrive later and take a look at those signatures.