Want to quit using Outlook as default how do I keep existing email

Old August 8th 09, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Linda

Default Want to quit using Outlook as default how do I keep existing email

I started using outlook to get appointment notices but I noticed that my
emails were no longer in my inbox for Comcast. I did change it to have a
copy sent to my comcast email however all the 1000 plus emails that were in
my inbox are only shown when I open up Outlook. Only new emails are on my
comcast now.

I want to cancel using Outlook but what happens to my emails that our on my
server via Outlook...how can I get them all back into my Comcast email inbox?

Help I'm not very savvy about this and really need your help in layman's
terms.
Old August 8th 09, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
DL[_2_]

So you want to revert to web mail access?
You could modify your outlook mail account properties to leave a copy on the
server instead, then you would see your mail in web access and outlook.
Theres no point sending a copy to yourself, outlook will only download that
copy.
Outlook is merely a mail handler, comcast is your mail server

You could if comcast supports it change to an IMAP mail account, then what
you see in web access would be mirrored in outlook.
The only method to upload your old mail from outlook would be to send it to
yourself - ensuring outlook is not set to receive mail, otherwise it will
all come back to outlook.

Old August 8th 09, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Linda

Default Want to quit using Outlook as default how do I keep existing e

Thank you so much, I currently have it setup to leave a copy on the server
but all the emails that were previously on my web mail automatically went to
Outlook and only new emails transferred to my web mail.

So I'm in process of sending all the important emails to myself.

How do I transfer back to just my Comcast web mail versus Outlook? I don't
want to screw this up. Can you help me? Do I just go into the Email settings
in Outlook and then what? Or do I change it under the Comcast web email
settings?

I'm sorry I wish I was more literate about this.

Old August 8th 09, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
DL[_2_]

You have your comcast mail account set up as a pop account, a pop account
downloads all mail from the server (comcast) unless you specifically set it
to leave a copy on the server.
That is the default behaviour for a pop account.

As it is to transfer your the older msgs from Outlook back to the comcast
mail server you would need to initially alter the Outlook settings not to
check for new mail. Then you would need to forward all mail to yourself.
However, once this has been accomplished, when you reset outlook, to check
for mail, all these forwarded msgs will be received in Outlook. So do you
really need *all* old mail sent back, or just important ones, as you will
finish up with many duplicates in outlook.?

Old August 10th 09, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Linda" wrote in message

I started using outlook to get appointment notices but I noticed that my
emails were no longer in my inbox for Comcast. I did change it to have a
copy sent to my comcast email however all the 1000 plus emails that were
in
my inbox are only shown when I open up Outlook. Only new emails are on my
comcast now.

I want to cancel using Outlook but what happens to my emails that our on my
server via Outlook...how can I get them all back into my Comcast email
inbox?

If you allowed Outlook to delete the messages from the server, then they're no
longer on the server, existing only in the Inbox in Outook. You're only hope
of getting them back to the server in any form that's replyable is to forward
them to yourself as attachments after having configured Outlook to leave
copies of messages on the server. Look on the Advanced tab of your account
properties.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]