Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - Installation (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-installation/)
-   -   Moving email account details when moving pst file (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-installation/92828-moving-email-account-details-when.html)

efandango July 20th 09 12:50 AM

Moving email account details when moving pst file

I have outlook 2007 and a Hotmail account.

When I set up a new hotmail account, Outlook creates a new pst on my C:
drive. I want to have the email account point to a copy of the pst that I
have made on another drive. I know how to copy pst files and have outlook
point to them, but I don't know how to re-associate the email to the copied
pst; instead Outlook insists on retaining the email account association to
the original C: drive pst.

Can someone tell me how this can be done?

Roady [MVP] July 20th 09 08:19 AM

Moving email account details when moving pst file

Pst-files for a Hotmail account are unique and cannot be moved or shared
with another Hotmail account.
As it is just a cache of your on-line mailbox, there is no direct need to
move this file anyway. If you need to access an additional pst-file, you can
connect to it via;
File- Open- Outlook Data File...

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

efandango July 20th 09 06:59 PM

Moving email account details when moving pst file

Robert,

Thanks for replying. The only reason I have for wanting to have a 'portable'
pst hotmail file is that I have previously suffered system crashes on my
local drive and have had to do a wipeover reinstall of xp, and have
subsequently lost my saved hotmail files. I suppose the best way around this
is to copy them to my 'personal folders/pst file' that is stored on another
more secure drive.

Do you know if this can be achieved automatically with the new 'Outlook
Connector' which I understand has an expanded feature set.

Roady [MVP] July 21st 09 08:27 AM

Moving email account details when moving pst file

As Hotmail messages are kept on the server, you won't lose anything from a
local reinstall. After you reinstall your computer, reconnect to the Hotmail
account and a new local cache of your items in Hotmail are automatically
copied from the server to your computer again.
Or are you saying that you were connecting to Hotmail via POP3 or moved your
messages out of the Hotmail mailbox?