Outlook 2007 add Internet E-mail account is greyed out

Old February 2nd 09, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Chuck

Default Outlook 2007 add Internet E-mail account is greyed out

I have Vista Business and running Office 2007. We have a local Exchange
server, but my mail is not hosted on that. I have Internet mail, SMTP/POP3.

When configuring my Outlook 2007, it seems to have detected our local
Exchange server and the option to setup an Internet E-mail account is greyed
out. I have not found a way to bypass this "auto detection" to get my
POP3/SMTP account installed in Outlook 2007.

Does anyone have any ideas? With the old Outlook, you could install an
Internet Mail connector even though you also have Exchange. I don't want to
use the Exchange server and my mailbox is not on there. I have to be able to
configure the Internet E-mail option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old February 3rd 09, 09:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
DL

Use the Mail Applet in the Control Panel to configure a new Profile using
the type of connection you want, add the data file & accounts, set prompt
for Profile.

Old February 3rd 09, 10:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Chuck

I tried that. The same wizard runs whether it's through control panel or
Outlook. The same screen comes up with only Exchange or Other account types.
I am unable to select the top one with Internet E-mail.

I thought maybe if I setup an Exchange mailbox first, then try setting up a
second account and see if I can then select Interet E-mail.

I don't have an account on the Exchange server though, and converting mine
to one will cause some other issues. I have another co-worker with Vista
Business and an Exchange mailbox setup in his Outlook 2007. I'll see if he
can add an Internet mail account in the morning.

If that works, I'll let everyone know in case someone else has this problem.

Thanks,
Chuck

Old February 3rd 09, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Does your admin use group policies to block non-exchange accts? Are you
using the option to automatically create the acct? Try setting it up
manually.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old February 3rd 09, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Chuck

YAY!

It was the group policy. The administrator fixed the policy and now I have
the option to add the Internet E-mail account.

Thank you for your help.

Chuck