The Tasks "To-Do List" shows "Cannot display the folder"

Old August 22nd 08, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LarryQW

Default The Tasks "To-Do List" shows "Cannot display the folder"

The Tasks "To-Do List" was working, but now only shows "Cannot display the
folder" when I click the button.

I tried to "Repair" Outlook, but it didn't help.

Old August 22nd 08, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Try resetting the view.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/resetview.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old August 25th 08, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LarryQW

Didn't work using the "run outlook.exe /clean" command. Nothing was fixed or
changed.

Also, the "Task" view doesn't have menu items listed as methods for
resetting the few:
1. Browse the View menu to find the Customize command
2. Browse the View menu to find the Define views command

Neither of these commands are available in the View menu of the "Tasks" view.

Note that many people are having this same problem:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6133&siteid=17

Old August 25th 08, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Did you try restarting outlook with the /resettodobar switch?

Turn on the Advanced toolbar - click in the To-do bar and see what view is
applied to the bar's list. It should be to-do list.

Old August 25th 08, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"LarryQW" wrote in message

Didn't work using the "run outlook.exe /clean" command.

There is no such command, of course, so it's not surprising trying to use it
didn't work. The correct command to try is

outlook.exe /cleanviews
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old August 25th 08, 06:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LarryQW

Thanks. I just checked my history and I indeed typed "outlook.exe
/cleanviews".

I did the right command but made a mistake in my posting. Oops.

Old August 25th 08, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LarryQW

I exited Outlook 2007 and restarted with "outlook.exe /resettodobar"

I see no difference whatsoever with my Tasks | To-Do List tool bars - no
view selection is available. I don't see the "Current View" selection box on
the Advanced toolbar in the Task | To-Do list mode.

I DO see the "Current View" selection box in Mail, Calendar, and Contacts
mode. I also see the "Current View" selection box in the Tasks mode with
"Tasks" selected in "My Tasks". I also see a left selection box for the
"Current View" in the left pane.

However, I do NOT see the "Current View" selection box in Tasks mode with
"To-Do List" selected in "My Tasks". Nor do I see a way to add it with the
"Custom" or Add Button commands. And the "Current View" selection box in the
left pane disappears when I select the "To-Do List" in the My Tasks box. I
only see a blank page displayed saying "Cannot display the folder".

Similarly, in all other windows where the "To-Do Bar" is displayed (like in
my Contacts window), I instead see a blank window with the message: "The
operation failed. An object could not be found."

I also get a similar pop-up message sometimes when first starting up Outlook
after booting my computer.

I should note I add in a couple extra mail boxes from home and other places,
so I have a couple more *.pst files open from files on my computer. But I
have done this for a couple months without a problem. I've tried closing all
these extra mail files and rebooting, without help on fixing this issue.

Thank you for your help. I wish I could solve this issue.

Old August 26th 08, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Try a new profile.

when the task list in the to-do is selected, the view name should be grayed
out but visible - it should be say to-do.
http://www.xsolive.com/Outlook%20Scr...orm.aspx?ID=48 -
mine doesn't but I don't want to run cleanviews and it works most of the
time (outlook crashes occasionally when I use the to-do folder) so I'll live
with it for now. I'm not even sure how I got it on a different view.

Old August 26th 08, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
LarryQW

I tried to make a dummy profile, but Outlook checks for a real server and
password. Should I do this temporarially, or create a new profile from
scratch with the same settings, then tranfer my old files over?

In the Calendar view that you show, the To-Do Bar window has "To-Do Bar" in
the title, but is completely blank other than a small comment inside the
window: "The operation failed. An object could not be found.".

Many others are having this same exact problem, as I mentioned befo

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6133&siteid=17

I'm also tempted to simply remove and reinstall Outlook. Everything worked
fine a week ago. It seems a data file or program file became corrupted. I
just don't know which, or how to fix it.

On the above link, TeriGal said this error only occured on one of her
profiles. So maybe I could make a new profile and transfer everything over.
But this may take some time and no help if it's a file that's corrupted.

Thanks for helping,
Larry

Old August 26th 08, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Go to control panel, mail and make a new profile - use your real mail
account info and set outlook to leave mail on the server. If you have more
than 1 acct, you only need to add one to the profile right now, since you
are only testing it to see if its outlook or a corrupt profile.

if it works, close outlook and go back to control panel, mail and add the
old pst to the profile, setting it as the default. Restart outlook. Does it
still work? If not, something in the pst is bad.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your