.pst file: "cannot copy outlook: Data error Cyclic redundancy chec

Old July 11th 08, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Greta Grip

Default .pst file: "cannot copy outlook: Data error Cyclic redundancy chec

Hi,

Running OL 2003 SP3 on XP. Trying to copy .pst from PC to external hard
drive, to laptop folder where .pst files reside. Have done many times in the
past with same hardware and had no issues. Appears to copy to ext hard drive
fine, but am unable to copy to laptop, either to it's desktop or the folder
where the .pst files reside.

I have about 4 GB available on laptop hard drive, .pst file is about 1.7 GB.

Now I get error message:

Cannot copy file or folder: Cannot Copy Outlook: Data error (cyclic
redundancy check).

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old July 11th 08, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Greta Grip wrote:

Cannot copy file or folder: Cannot Copy Outlook: Data error (cyclic
redundancy check).

That's a sign of a hard drive read or write failure. Run CHKDSK several
times, alternating with runs of SCANPST.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old July 14th 08, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
greta grip

Default .pst file: "cannot copy outlook: Data error Cyclic redundancy

Thanks.

I'm in process of trying your advice. I'm running into two issues, perhaps
you can help?

When I try to run scandisk (by right clicking on properties, tools etc on
the external hard drive in My Computer), I cannot select both options. I can
run the tool by selecting only "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
sectors". (which it will run and find no issues.) However if I select
"Automatically fix file system errors", I get the following message:

Disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs
exclusive access to some windows files on the disk. These files can be
accessed only by restarting windows. Do you want windows to schedule this
disk check the next time you restart your computer Y/N?

I select Yes. When I get this message on my laptop, the utility runs when I
reboot. But I can't seem to get the utility to run on the external hard
drive. How do you effectively restart an external hard drive? I turn it
off, then back on and restart my PC which it's connected to via USB, but
when I reboot my PC, the utility doesn't run.

And when I try to run scanpst.exe on the .pst file on the external HD, I get
the following error message:

An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check
the disk for errors, then try running the Inbox Repair Tool again.

This happens at about 50% through Phase 1 of 8.

I then go back and run ScanDisk, but am only able to select the second
option as described above. And I try the process of scanpst.exe again...

Advice?

Thanks!

Old July 15th 08, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Greta Grip

Thanks, but I tried to explain that when I try to use the method you
described (My Computer, right clicking on external drive, properties, tools
etc) to run Check Disk on the external drive, I get the following error
message (see below). I've answered both yes and no and tried to reboot the
PC and power the external drive on and off but nothing changes. It's not my
boot drive, but unlike you say:

If it's not your boot drive, it won't tell you that it needs to
run after the next startup.,

I in fact do get the following error message, if I select
"Automatically fix file system errors", :

"Disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs
exclusive access to some windows files on the disk. These files can be
accessed only by restarting windows. Do you want windows to schedule this
disk check the next time you restart your computer Y/N?"

Thanks for your time.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

greta grip greta wrote:

But I can't seem to get the utility to run on the
external hard drive.

If the disk is attached to your PC, it doesn't matter if it;s internal or
external. You should be able to check your disk by opening My Computer,
right-clicking the disk, choosing Propertoes, selecting the Tools tab, and
then clicking Check Now. As long as it's not your boot drive, then CHKDSK
(not scandisk, no matter what the message says) will run. Make sure you
select "Automatically fix file system errors". I'd also check "Scan for and
attempt recovery of bad sectors", although on a larger disk this can tae
some time. If it's not your boot drive, it won't tell you that it needs to
run after the next startup.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old July 16th 08, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Greta Grip

I bought a new external hard drive, repeated the process I described in my
first note below, and it worked fine.

Old July 16th 08, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Greta Grip wrote:

I in fact do get the following error message, if I select
"Automatically fix file system errors", :

"Disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility
needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disk.

This means you have file on the external hard drive that are required for
Windows to run, such as the page file. If you were to disconnect the drive,
Windows would fail. Nonetheless, you have a disk read/write problem on the
drive. That hasn't changed.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 16th 11, 10:56 AM
cora cora is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

In order to fix CRC error you should repair the hard drive and check the integrity and consistency of thehard drive by making use of ChkDsk utility. If this procedure is not helpful to fix this problem then you need to create new Outlook profile to fix this issue. If you are not able to fix this issue through this process then you need to use Scanpst.exe. If this application fails to fix this issue by using this tool then you need to make use of third party free pst repair tool to fix this issue and recover the lost data safely.