Moving Outlook from PC to laptop and back WITHOUT getting duplicat

Old June 17th 08, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
sparklinbluiz[_2_]

Default Moving Outlook from PC to laptop and back WITHOUT getting duplicat

Hi All,

This community was very helpful when I needed to move a copy of my Outlook
2003 .PST on to a laptop to travel for business. When I returned I wanted to
copy the new information from work done on the laptop back to my desktop, My
problem is, whenever I copy a .PST or open a new .PST file, ALL of my mail
that is saved on the email server downloads again and I end up with duplicate
emails. I then have to go through and delete countless emails and hope I
don't delete all copies of an email and then not have a particular one. Is
there a way to move between the laptop and the desktop so this does not
happen? I need to leave a copy of the mail on the server in case I need to
access it when my laptop is not with me. I can work the contacts back and
forth through my blackberry if I have to but I'm more concerned about the
email. I can't work off the blackberry for ALL of my email when I am out of
town. I would just like to have an exact copy of all the Outlook features
(contacts, emails, journals, everything) put onto my laptop for travel and
then be able to move that with any new info back to the desktop.
Any help figuring this out once and for all would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 17th 08, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

sparklinbluiz wrote:

My problem is, whenever I copy a .PST or
open a new .PST file, ALL of my mail that is saved on the email
server downloads again and I end up with duplicate emails. I then
have to go through and delete countless emails and hope I don't
delete all copies of an email and then not have a particular one. Is
there a way to move between the laptop and the desktop so this does
not happen?

As far as I know, there is not way to prevent it if you leave your messages
in the server's Inbox.

I need to leave a copy of the mail on the server in case
I need to access it when my laptop is not with me.

Use the web interface to your mail server and place your old mail in a
separate folder; i.e. other than Inbox. Outlook will not be able to see
them then and can't download them again, but you'll still be able to see
them via web while traveling. Alternatively, see if your ISP supports IMAP
accounts.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]