Outlook 2003 "fresh" install - Outlook crashes continuously

Old May 2nd 08, 11:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
ozzie

Default Outlook 2003 "fresh" install - Outlook crashes continuously

I reinstalled Windows XP Pro as a clean/fresh install as I was encountering
problems with Windows Exlorer (not IE).

Using the program "Outlook Backup Pro" (Total Idea), I backed up all files
eg pst, rules, etc.

After installing XP Pro, I then installed (fresh), Office 2003 - including
Outlook 2003. I then progressively installed all 3 service packs for Office
2003.

This was followed by a "restore" files via "Outlook Back up Pro", and all
settings, rules, folders, email etc were restored perfectly.

However, since then, Outlook continually (writing a new email, downloading,
even while idle).....it regularly ( varies from 5 to 20 minutes or so), it
"crashes and gives the message "Office Outlook has encountered a problem and
must close".

I have tried the "Repair" from the Help menu, searched Microsoft's site -
ran scanpst.exe and no errors were reported.

The "report" generated by Outlook sent to MS indicates :

Exception Information
Code : 0x0000005 Flags : 0x00000000
Record: 0x00000000000000000
Address : 0x000000007c929beb

System Information
Windows NT 5.1 Build : 2600
CPU Vendor Code : 68747541 - 69746E65 - 444D4163
CPU Version : 00040F33 CPU Feature Code : 178BFBFF

Module 1
OUTLOOK.EXE
Image Base : 0x30000000 Image Size : 0x00000000
Checksum : 0x00031562 Time Stamp : 0x479fce0d
Version Information

The following files will be included in this error report:

C;\DOCUME~1\Deane\LACALS~1\Temp\47175234.cvr

I had posted this problem earlier in the week, but can no longer find it....

Since the above problem started I have :

(1) "Repaired" while going through the "uninstalled" option

(2) tried to "Repair Outlook" from Help==Outlook==Detect & Repair

(3) Uninstalled completely & re-installed

(4) Run SCNPST.EXE (no errors??!!)

(5) created a "new profile" suggested by another person on MS's Forum

(6) deleted files with *.srs & *.dat in C:\documents and
settings/deane/Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook - also suggested by a reply
on the MS forum.

Tried on many occassions to get "Support" from MS....and after 5 or 6
emails, being told to phone - which I did, only to be told it would cost $80
for a Tech to try to work it out!

They don't mind taking your money up front, and then charging you to fix
THEIR software.... ;-)

Anyone with any further ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old May 4th 08, 09:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
DL

Visit your HD manufacturers site, download / create the bootable floppy / cd
test utility
Check your memory, www.memtest.org

news

Old May 5th 08, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
ozzie

Thanks "DL" for the suggestion......but the memory "possibility" has already
been adressed & is not the cause of the "fault" in Ooutlook misbehaving.

I have tried just about everything except parting with $80 for MS to
diagnose a problem with THEIR software that I paid them for.

The problem has been solved in a 'round about way......Office 2003 is now a
"sunk cost".....and they will extract as little as possible ever again from
me.

The solution?

Thunderbird/Sunlight, Firefox & Open Office.......and they didn't cost a
cent!!!

And next time I come to chose an OS........Linux is starting to look really
possible.

Cheers.......