Can't Upgrade Outlook

Old January 10th 08, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jim H.

Default Can't Upgrade Outlook

I had to reformat my boot drive, re-install XP and then reload my old Office
97. (Still works great for my needs!)

Everything went OK until I tried to upgrade to Outlook 98. Immediately,
after accepting the license agreement (even before I get to where I enter the
license key), I get an "Outlook 98 Active Setup" error message window that
has the following error message: "Setup was unable to download all the
required components for this installation. The Internet is likely busy.
Please try Setup again later and try Smart Recovery to continue downloading."

I didn't realize Outlook 98 required Internet connectivity while doing the
upgrade.

How do I get past this error message? Also, what is a "Smart Recovery"?

Thx,
--
Jim H.
Old January 10th 08, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Bill R[_2_]

It has tried to download from the online files which have been long removed.
For a while after they were first removed you could get the URL by calling
Microsoft but I doubt this still applies.
How did you initiate the update? You could try from an Outlook 98 CD if you
have one but it might also check for updated files (ages since I've
installed Outlook 98).
To be honest, I'd be going with a later version of Outlook that has support.

Old January 10th 08, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Jim H. wrote:

I had to reformat my boot drive, re-install XP and then reload my old
Office
97. (Still works great for my needs!)

I answered you privately, but I wanted to comment on this statement. If you
intend to say, "well I'll just stick with OL 97 then," keep in mind that, if
you wish to use Internet mail with OL 97 and your ISP requires SMTP server
authentication, you are out of luck. OL 97 won't do SMTP authentication.
OL 98 was the first version that would.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]