Outlook 2007 and Programmatic access

Old January 18th 07, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Kurt

Default Outlook 2007 and Programmatic access

I am trying Outlook 2007 primarily to avoid the security warning I get from
OL 2003 if I have a different program have to use its email client. In
Tools/Trust Center/Programmatic Access I have selected no warning if my
antivirus software is up to date. I have also tried this with the more
dangerous selection of simply not getting any warnings if another program
tries to access. However, when using the one program I would like to provide
access for, I still get a security warning and have to manually authorize
access. This is true with either the default of not warning if antivirus is
up to date (my Norton AV is updated as of today) or no warning at all. Why
would I still get security warnings?
Old January 19th 07, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

It's impossible to say without any information on what the program might be doing or even which warning you're seeing.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 19th 07, 03:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Kurt

The program is TimeMatters for Windows, ver. 8, Professional Edition. The
warning window says something to the effect of "Another program is trying to
access Outlook's address book (or perhaps it says database or mail or
something else). Do you want to give the program access" and then I can
choose to permit or deny access, and specify a time in 1,2, 3, minute
increments.

Old January 19th 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

My hunch is that they are using either Collaboration Data Objects or Simple MAPI. Neither of those is affected by the Programmatic Access settings. Those are only for applications that use the Outlook object model.

THere's no way to know if that's what they're doing except to ask them.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Kurt

It is a calendar program that has some features Outlook doesn't offer. In
its email module, you can set up either internet (pop3) accounts, or use MAPI
on the computer (or both). If you are using the MAPI client, then you can
optionally use "Extended MAPI". When using "Extended MAPI", I do not get the
security warning; however, the attachments to emails sent from TimeMatters do
not get sent by Outlook. I had understood that the "Trust Center" feature of
NOT giving warnings if the antivirus program was up to date was to permit
users to elect not to use Extended MAPI yet still avoid the security
warnings. All of that said, is "Simple MAPI" just regular MAPI as opposed to
Extended MAPI? And what are "Collaboration Data Objects"?

Old January 19th 07, 09:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Simple MAPI is a small programming interface used to perform such basic actions as sending mail messages. It has nothing to do with how the email accounts are configured.

Collaboration Data Objects is a more robust programming interface that wraps many Extended MAPI features and can be used in languages like VBScript. (ExMAPI requires C++ or Delphi).

I had understood that the "Trust Center" feature of
NOT giving warnings if the antivirus program was up to date was to permit
users to elect not to use Extended MAPI yet still avoid the security
warnings.

No, that's not what it does. It allows programmatic access to the Outlook object model programming interface. Extended MAPI programming *never* raises security prompts.

It sounds like the problem is that TimeMatters using the "MAPI client" option isn't operating correctly and using the "Internet" option is using Simple MAPI.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 22nd 07, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Bill D

I am having the same issue trying to send email from a filemaker pro 8 script
through outlook 2007. I too upgraded so I could take advantage of this
promised feature of being able to turn off that warning.

When I try to send an email from filemaker pro 8 through Outlook 2007 a
window pops up "Microsoft Office Outlook" that says "a program is trying to
send an e-mail message on your behalf..." with option to "allow" or "Deny"
my "trust center" "progamatic access" is set to "never Warn me..." My
antivirus is Windows live onecare.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?

Old January 22nd 07, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Is your FileMaker Pro script using Outlook objects? If so, show a code snippet. If not, you don't get the benefit of Outlook 2007's changed security model.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 25th 07, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Bill D

You might want to try Thunderbird email client by Mozilla (folks same that
produced the web browser Firefox) www.mozilla.com. I was able to configure it
to forego the programmatic access warning when using MAPI to send email. Set
it as your default email program.

Old February 2nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Kim

I am having the same problem sending a message from MSAccess (through a
Module using DoCmd.SendObject). I have tried setting the Programmatic Access
to Warn if antivirus is out of date (my Antivirus status is Valid) and I have
tried it under Never warn, both ways I am prompted with "a program is trying
to send......" .