Outlook 02 IMAP Folder Question

Old January 15th 07, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mikey

Default Outlook 02 IMAP Folder Question

I am using my school's IMAP email configured to their instructions on Outlook
2002. Using Thunderbird with this email account I have created folders other
than just my INBOX folder (such as Classes and Misc) to save non-urgent
items.

Currently in the icon buttons on the left panel there is an INBOX icon
default for Outlook and there is another "VUmail Inbox" that is part of my
IMAP where my new mail shows up when I Send/Receive. When I click on the
VUmail Inbox the subfolders (in the Folder Pane) show up as they should
including my IMAP Sent and Trash folders. However, when I delete a message
in Outlook from my VUmail Inbox they become crossed out for an unknown amount
of time and then usually after I close Outlook and reopen it those messages
are gone and I cannot find them (as opposed to them just moving to ANY trash
folder). I would like for them to move to the IMAP trash folder and I would
like my sent mail to move to my IMAP sent folder rather than the Outlook
default Sent folder. Ideally I would like to make the VUmail Inbox the
Outlook Default Inbox and the corresponding folders (i.e. Sent and Trash) to
be the defaults as well. Please let me know if you can help or if I was
unclear with any part of this post. Thanks
Old January 15th 07, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Mikey wrote:

Currently in the icon buttons on the left panel there is an INBOX icon
default for Outlook and there is another "VUmail Inbox" that is part
of my IMAP where my new mail shows up when I Send/Receive. When I
click on the VUmail Inbox the subfolders (in the Folder Pane) show up
as they should including my IMAP Sent and Trash folders. However,
when I delete a message in Outlook from my VUmail Inbox they become
crossed out for an unknown amount of time and then usually after I
close Outlook and reopen it those messages are gone and I cannot find
them (as opposed to them just moving to ANY trash folder).

IMAP protocols do not specify a Trash folder and Outloook doesn't no
implement one. When you "delete" an IMAP message, it is simply marked for
deletion (signified by the overstrike) and then purges later when you click
EditPurge Deleted Messages. I didn't think that Outlook ever automatically
purges those messages and I haven't found a setting toat will do that, but I
suppose there may may be one. Nonetheless, Outlook is working as designed
and you can't change its handling of dleted messages in an IMAP account.
--
Brian Tillman