"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook"...

Old December 3rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Austruck

Default "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook"...

I had Office 2007 Pro beta on my system for a long time and loved it. I made
the (stupid) mistake of unintalling everything because at one point I
couldn't get either version (2003 or 2007) of Outlook to open. Note: I use
Outlook only for some calendar stuff and mostly names and addresses of, well,
EVERYONE.

Now I have tried to open Outlook 2003. I have tried uninstalling all of
Office and reinstalling everything. Everything seems to work but Outlook. And
the installation doesn't seem to allow me to reinstall it anywhere other than
C:, although I have several other drives I could put a fresh installation
on....

The error message verbatim is this:

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version.
This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please
reinstall Outlook."

1. I installed no messaging software anywhere.

2. I think this happened because you cannot go back to Outlook 2003 once
you've put 2007 on your system (although with other Office components, this
didn't seem to be true).

3. The main question I have is this: Where is my data (those names and
addresses! Our entire Christmas card list is in Outlook!), and HOW can I
still get to it? Can I somehow access the names and addresses via Access,
even if it's all messy and rearranged funny??

4. We do plan to upgrade to Office 2007 sooner rather than later, but
obviously, not in time to retrieve the Christmas card list!

5. Help!!

Old December 3rd 06, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Austruck

I'm replying to my own message to add something: I DO have my data synced to
my Palm Tungsten E2, but I'm unsure how to get it back to a usable form on my
PC. If I could get it into any good Office program in order to manage the
data in a more orderly fashion, any info on that would be appreciated!

So, the data isn't lost, necessarily, but is on a device that's not very
helpful for retrieving long lists.

Might I try installing Outlook 2003 onto a different computer altogether and
syncing back from the Tungsten?

I am still not sure what to do about the Outlook mess-up on my main
computer, though. ...

Old December 4th 06, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Austruck wrote:

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong
version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging
software. Please reinstall Outlook."

This has been covered numerous times in this newsgroup.
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=group%3Amicrosoft.public.outlook.*+%2B%22 MAPI32.DLL+is+corrupt%22+%2B2007&qt_s=Search
--
Brian Tillman