"A data file was not closed properly" error

Old November 30th 06, 06:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Hofendis

Default "A data file was not closed properly" error

This is my third install of Office 2007. The first two were B2TR and worked
fine. Tonight I installed our first copy of the release version and have had
a couple of major hiccups. Problem #1 were constant long hangs and--after
checking some tech notes posted on the web--were fixed by turning off client
to server encryption.

The second is more problematic and I haven't found a cure...only a tech note
posted that someone else has the same problem.

Every thirty seconds--endlessly--Outlook pops up an error message stating "A
data file was not closed properly. Perfomance might be affected while Outlook
checks the file." And sure enough, Outlook then hangs for 5-10 seconds or so.
Endlessly.

All three of these machines are looking at the same few mailboxes on the
Exchange server; this is the only machine that is reporting problems. I
uninstalled and reinstalled--same problem. Created a new profile--same
problem.

All three of these machines are running WinXP SP2.
Old December 1st 06, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Hofendis

Solved (and I will follow up directly with the folks on other boards that I
saw had the same problem). Turns out that during previous upgrades of
Office/Outlook, there were traces of old mailboxes (archive.psts, for
instance) that remained, even though contact had long been lost and Outlook
showed no sign of them in either open 'data files' or 'added mailboxes.'

It took wiping all remaining traces of the existing profile from the client
computer, then setting up a new profile to fix the problem.

-sd