outgoing/incoming mail server failed

Old February 16th 06, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
JamOnIt

Default outgoing/incoming mail server failed

Ok folks, Im running xp pro and have just installed office 2003, the outlook
part of the install has overwritten outlook express and now I cant send or
receive any messages. I would like to use Outlook as its part of a package I
paid for but I simply cant get it to work, when I use the exact same settings
in Thunderfire they work correctly as they did in Outlook express so can
someone help me out and see if there's a simple mistake Ive made?
ps this pc isnt on a network, its for a single user with usb modem for
Broadband.
Old February 17th 06, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

JamOnIt wrote:

Ok folks, Im running xp pro and have just installed office 2003, the
outlook part of the install has overwritten outlook express and now I
cant send or receive any messages.

Outlook and Outlook Express, being two separate applications, are fully
functional when used on the same machine. Outlook does not "overwrite"
Outlook Express. Installing Outlook does not affect Outlook Express
whatsoever. The only thing it may do is set Outlook as your default mail
program, but you have comtrol over that as well in INternet Explorer's
ToolsInternet OptionsPrograms dialogue.

I would like to use Outlook as its
part of a package I paid for but I simply cant get it to work, when I
use the exact same settings in Thunderfire they work correctly as
they did in Outlook express so can someone help me out and see if
there's a simple mistake Ive made?

I think you meant "Thunderbird". You'll have to state how you've configured
Outlook in order for anyone to tell you what's wrong. You'll also have to
include any symptoms you see, including the exact text of any error
messages, when you try to use it.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 17th 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
JamOnIt

Thanks Brian for replying,

yep its Thunderbird and oops @ my spelling.
Im using a wanadoo POP account to receive messages and a bulldog SMTP to
send messages, I know this isnt ideal but it always has worked and is working
100% error free while using Thunderbird.

The exact message I get when testing the account (POP3) settings are
"establish network connection complete"
"find outgoing mail server (smtp) cancelled"
"find incoming mail server (pop3) cancelled"

when I try to send or receive emails in outlook 2003 the following era is
displayed
!Task 'Email Account' - Receiving reported error (0x8004210A)

I hope someone can help as Ive tried so many configurations now my fingers
are numb.

Old February 18th 06, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

JamOnIt wrote:

when I try to send or receive emails in outlook 2003 the following
era is displayed
!Task 'Email Account' - Receiving reported error (0x8004210A)

The first thing to do is to make sure you haven't integrated your antivirus
program with Outlook so that it's trying to scan incoming messages. Also
make sure your firewall isn't interfering.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 19th 06, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
JamOnIt

Tried all of those options, still getting the same issues.

Thanks yet again, Im sure its something simple.

Old February 19th 06, 01:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

JamOnIt wrote:

Tried all of those options, still getting the same issues.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to start over with a brand new mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman
Old February 24th 06, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
JamOnIt

Im still getting the same errors, its behaving as if it isnt connected but it
confirms it is before saying it cant find the incoming or out going mail
server! Can someone please help me out via this or remotely as I cant even
re-install outlook express to simply avoid this headache.